Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just moved to CO and part of the reason I moved her is that I wanted to be able to hunt and fish.

So far I've been kind of skunked. Lots of smaller trout but nothing that big.

Barker Meadow Reservoir is closest to me as I live in Boulder Canyon.

For the most part it still seems dead. Maybe it's still too early at that altitude or maybe it's just really overfished?

I'm used to the Sierras in June/July and basically all the first are constantly rising and feeding near the surface.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I just moved to CO and part of the reason I moved her is that I wanted to be able to hunt and fish.

So far I've been kind of skunked. Lots of smaller trout but nothing that big.

Barker Meadow Reservoir is closest to me as I live in Boulder Canyon.

For the most part it still seems dead. Maybe it's still too early at that altitude or maybe it's just really overfished?

I'm used to the Sierras in June/July and basically all the first are constantly rising and feeding near the surface.
Barker can be a tough nut to crack. Are you Spin Fishing or Fly Fishing? I do both quite a bit, but at Barker I use tube jigs and spoons to catch fish. Like many Colorado water supply reservoirs it is super deep, and can be quite challenging. As far as the high country goes (Over 10k feet). The fishing should just be turning on very soon. Some lakes don't even thaw till sometime in July. Since you live in Boulder Canyon I would suggest trying the James Peak Wilderness Area and Indian Peaks nearby for several good hike in lakes. Again it is a bit early for most of the lakes above 10k feet though.

·
Registered
495 Posts
The water you are fishing is terrible for shore fisherman. You need to drive a few hours south west or north west although in my opinion the southwest and middle west is the best. I don't want to mention any waters but south park is full of big trout, you have to put the work in to find them but the fish are bigger.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Barker can be a tough nut to crack. Are you Spin Fishing or Fly Fishing? I do both quite a bit, but at Barker I use tube jigs and spoons to catch fish. Like many Colorado water supply reservoirs it is super deep, and can be quite challenging.

Why is deep an issue? Because they end up just staying deep? Barker doesn't allow kayaks which makes things super tough.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Why is deep an issue? Because they end up just staying deep? Barker doesn't allow kayaks which makes things super tough.
Mainly because you often have to search more of the water column to find where the fish are hanging out. This is where spinning gear has a huge advantage over fly gear in super steep and deep lakes. I use the countdown method. Cast out a 1/4 oz kastmaster and let it sink for 5 seconds before the retrieve, repeat a few times, then try 10 seconds, then 15, then 20 etc.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Ive lived in boulder county for close to 20 years. Barker sucks and is unproductive ie the fish grow slow. High altitude cutties or a drive is your best bet although it looks like gross is making a comeback I don’t waste my time there either.

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
I can promise you the fish are feeding every day. It's your job to figure out what they're eating.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts