Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fished the Blue River on vacation in late January and caught this nice fish. In the excitement of the moment I didn't notice the "blunt" nose on the fish until I got home and was looking at photos. Coincidentally, I was looking at fishing reports and there's a picture of a guy with a similar fish ... anyone know what is up with the "blunt" nose"? (Inserted for hopefully easier viewing) Thanks in advance. I got my first taste of skiing and fly fishing in Colorado and I'll be back! Hunting Water Salmon-like fish Oncorhynchus Outdoor recreation

·
Registered
57 Posts
The dorsal fin appears to be deformed also, so I concur. It probably was stocked from a hatchery. Because of whirling disease, most all rainbows in whirling disease positive waters in Colorado are raised in hatcheries.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I fished the Blue River on vacation in late January and caught this nice fish. In the excitement of the moment I didn't notice the "blunt" nose on the fish until I got home and was looking at photos. Coincidentally, I was looking at fishing reports and there's a picture of a guy with a similar fish ... anyone know what is up with the "blunt" nose"? (Inserted for hopefully easier viewing) Thanks in advance. I got my first taste of skiing and fly fishing in Colorado and I'll be back! View attachment 33279
Most trout in the blue in Silverthorne are stockers. I've heard these trout have stubbed noses because they dive into the gravel when trying to get the hooks out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts