Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking for more 4X4 trails that go past or end at fishing spots
not really looking for super hardcore but trail should require the engagement of 4wheel drive and need high clearance

any sugestions

·
Registered
374 Posts
great topic!!!
i only know of wheeler lake,bill moore lake,and loch lamonde.im looking for others as well.do you know of any?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Roadkill,

Down you way I like the road that goes to South Colony Lakes just below the Crestones. Lots of pressure from 14er climbers but the lakes are virtually untouched by fishermen. Lots of cutts, bows and cuttbows in both lakes. I've seen some big ones in the upper lake (notice I said seen 'em). This road goes for about 6 miles in and generally takes me the better part of an hour to negotiate in my Trooper.

Another good road goes to Baldwin Lake in the Sawatch just west of Nathrop. This is another road used by 14er climbers a lot to get to Mount Antero. Just past the road that goes up the west side of Antero is a series of beaver ponds loaded with small cutts. Baldwin can be tough to fish because of the willows that surround it. It's a typical high lake that has an ON/OFF switch for the fishing. I have had good success here taking fish up to about 16". This is about a 45 minute ride and includes a cool 1/4 mile section across a rockslide area.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i am looking for stuff with less than a easy somewhat level less than 1/2 mile hike from parking to fishing

with that in mind the roads to hermit and rainbow lake are 2 that i enjoy localy and while the roads are not realy dificult they are very rock and make for slow going and a lot of bouncing hermit has tons of brookies with the ocasional cutthroat not shure about rainbow as i seem to always stop at balman res before i get all the way to rainbow, balman seems to have rainbows but i have caught brookies and cutts in the tream leading into the res

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PIKER said:
great topic!!!
i only know of wheeler lake,bill moore lake,and loch lamonde.im looking for others as well.do you know of any?
can you tell me what the nearest town is to thease to make them easyer to find on the maps or road # and county?

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
_colorado said:
Roadkill,

Down you way I like the road that goes to South Colony Lakes just below the Crestones.  Lots of pressure from 14er climbers but the lakes are virtually untouched by fishermen.  Lots of cutts, bows and cuttbows in both lakes.  I've seen some big ones in the upper lake (notice I said seen 'em).  This road goes for about 6 miles in and generally takes me the better part of an hour to negotiate in my Trooper.

Another good road goes to Baldwin Lake in the Sawatch just west of Nathrop.  This is another road used by 14er climbers a lot to get to Mount Antero.  Just past the road that goes up the west side of Antero is a series of beaver ponds loaded with small cutts.  Baldwin can be tough to fish because of the willows that surround it.  It's a typical high lake that has an ON/OFF switch for the fishing.  I have had good success here taking fish up to about 16".  This is about a 45 minute ride and includes a cool 1/4 mile section across a rockslide area.
how close can you drive to south colony lake ive been up that road to go to work (privte forresty) but never got to go all the way to the lake

also at balbwin can you drive close enough to carry in a float tube might help with the tree lined shore?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Roadkill,

You only have to walk a couple hundred yards to Baldwin (pretty level too) and I can only imagine good things happening for a float tuber. Not so at South Colony as it's about a 2.5 mile hike to the lower lake from the parking area.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
ePiC said:
Como Lake:  http://www.mhjcontherocks.com/Community/Trips/1186.aspx
Wheeler Lake: http://www.mhjcontherocks.com/Community/Trips/1070.aspx

I'm looking for a place to go this weekend with my stock jeep and less then a 3 mile hike.  So I'm doing a little bit of research on this, will post some more trail reports as I find them.
From the looks of those pics thats defiantely a 4 x 4 trail lol

i dont think id take my truck on them though...thats definatlely jeep country.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Yeah I think I'll keep off those first 2 until I have enough money for all the upgrades to my jeep, I think I might hit mirror lake. Just have to see if my buddy is upto it the girl said she didnt want to go on a one nighter.

·
Registered
16,562 Posts
I used to do the 4-wheel thing,but it beats the [email protected] outta the vehicle. I like to ride the dirt bike to lakes now.Its fast,fast,fast!I like heart lake in the flattops only dirtbikes and atv's are allowed.

·
Registered
360 Posts
SLAYER FISH have you fished heart this year? I was thinking of heading up there very soon. I love this area. We used to do pretty good here a few years back.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
_colorado said:
Are you talking about Mirror Lake by Tincup?
Yeah, does it have fish?

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ePiC said:
Yeah I think I'll keep off those first 2 until I have enough money for all the upgrades to my jeep, I think I might hit mirror lake.  Just have to see if my buddy is upto it the girl said she didnt want to go on a one nighter.
if your in need of a tail partner i might be up for a ride into a fishing hole let me know

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I asked on a local 4 wheeling group forum and here are some of the suggestions they posted:
I would suggest Jenny Creek trail near Rollinsville, Bill Moore Lake, Middle St Vrain / Coney Flats, 4th of July trail up by Nederland doesn't really have any trails but has good fishing...you can also take Eldorado Mountain down to that or you can take caribou up to rainbow lakes and there is good fishing there as well. I'm sure there are others but those are a few that would be worth checking out. Wheeler Lake would be another one but it might be a bit hard in a stock XJ.
Wheeler would be tough but do-able for a stock XJ if they knew what they were doing. I can only think of one spot that did not have a bypass and that was a ledge near the top. The first one just byond the mill has a bypass to the left and the next one you can straddle the notch on the right. I would not suggest doing it without another vehicle thats for sure. It would be tough for sure. I second the suggestion for Jenny Creek. You have the lake at the top of the trail with the tailing pile in it and the second lake on up rollins pass road a half mile of so on the right.
If you want to head a bit farther north, then you could go up to Chambers lake just up at the head of the Poudre Canyon area. It's definitely doable by any stock car and has a lot of good fishing, plus if you want to hike about 500 yards then you could also fish at Lost Lake on the east side of Chambers Lake. Both are excellent fishing spots. To get there you take Hwy 14 out of LaPorte, CO and go west for 51 miles to the Glendevey turn off, Larimer County Rd 103 and then go north for 1.3 miles.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Roadkill, the trail to South Colony has always been about 40 minutes or so to the lower lake. Its pretty easy to get to, lakes seemed to be a bit fished out the last time I was there but worth the trip.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
You don't need 4WD to get to Mirror Lake by Tincup - it's an easy drive over Cottonwood Pass - unless you decide to go over Tincup Pass from St. Elmos and then it's rugged.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
_colorado said:
You don't need 4WD to get to Mirror Lake by Tincup - it's an easy drive over Cottonwood Pass - unless you decide to go over Tincup Pass from St. Elmos and then it's rugged.
Yeah I been over Cottonwood Pass, but I want to go 4 wheeling too so I'd take Tincup pass. But I think I'm going after grayling so mirror lake is out. Is there any fish in mirror lake?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts