Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
41 - 60 of 65 Posts

· Registered
4,816 Posts
tbmanivong,

I ate a few grayling when I lived in Alaska, they had a nice flavor but were very soft. When my grandfather was young he used to catch (dip net) red horse suckers in northern Minnesota, they canned them. He said they were good, I haven't tried one. I ate plenty of carp in China, they were good, dare I say delicious. The bullheads I usually catch are pretty small so I don't mess with them. My guess is bigger ones would be tasty. I ate a some small fish (6" and caught some too) in China that looked like bullheads, they were good.

Terre

· Registered
11 Posts
I LOVE fish!...All except catfish...tastes like soap to me. Sorry all of you catfish lovers, tried it over and over, just can't handle it. Salmon isn't my favorite, but I eat it. I think one of my favorites is Bass and I do like Snapper, but I don't get it much. We get a lot of Bass, Pike and Walleye up in Canada.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
seawitch said:
I LOVE fish!...All except catfish...tastes like soap to me. Sorry all of you catfish lovers, tried it over and over, just can't handle it. 
Tried using lemon/lime juice? I usually do that if it has a funky taste to it. Works great.

Thats why I like to eat lemon pepper starkist tuna.

· Registered
6,955 Posts
for here in colorado i like the perch, crappie and walleye filleted and fried and ofcourse deep fried catfish nuggets channels or bullheads bouat the same still want to taste some pike/muskie and wipers and for on the grill or campfire any trout that has been wild for a while brookies rainbows cutts

now on to the good stuff

lobster and abalone hands down with some lingcod deep fried

you might say the lobster and abs arnt fish but i did have to get a fishing license and i did catch them (by hand)

on the grill a nice fat chunk of very fresh tuna (albacore tops) seared quick so its still red in the center  better than the best beef steak you can think of runners up mako and thresher sharks yellowtail (related to the jacks not tuna) and dorado/mahi mahi

sushi  tunas (albacore,bluefin,then yellowfin)  yellowtail, dorado and then makos and threshers oh yeah octopus but ya gota cook em and they fight back when you catch them

battered and deep fried  lingcod, cabezone, white fish, sand bass and sheepshead (not like what they get in fresh water)

smoked  albacore, yellowtail

man now im hungry gonna have to make a smoked albacore sandwitch mmmm

the most important thing to do with fish is to clean it and chill it ASAP when i go fishing for dinner the fish gets gutted and submerged in an ice slury while its still flopping (yes still flopping even with guts removed) or packed in a snow bank when ice fishing i drill and extra hole or 2 that dont go all the way tru then fill the hole with the ice chips and some water and the fish go right in instant chill

· Registered
6,955 Posts
i prefer my sqiud raw over a nugget of rice with some wasabi/soy

Mmmm now you got me hungry again

· Registered
141 Posts
Its real simple STURGEON :p For freshwater and saltwater MR. Halibut hands down :eek:

· Registered
6,955 Posts
Burn-n-daylight said:
Its real simple STURGEON :p For freshwater and saltwater MR. Halibut hands down :eek:
you eat the sturgeon meat or the caviar?

· Registered
6,955 Posts
i like masago and uni the masago (smelt roe) as a garnish on my sushi and the uni (urchin roe raw no cure) any way i can get it best right in the ocean at the end of a dive or if your a reel man while under water during the dive

· Registered
6,955 Posts
must be some sort of beer batter and a big beer chaser

G

·
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Went to buy some fish(to use as cut bait) & saw GRASS CARP for $3.99 a pound.

Is there GRASS CARP in colorado?

If there is GRASS CARP in colorado, I was thinkin' about catching and selling that store 50+ lbs of carp.

· Registered
6,955 Posts
it is illegal to sell any fish caught with a sport fishing license but there are provisions for comercial fishing licenses

· Registered
935 Posts
tbmanivong said:
What is your favorite Colorado Specie(s) & any specie(s) from anywhere(salt or fresh)?

My personal favorite out of Colorado would have to be the channels.  I think the 1-3 #ers taste best.  Although, I finally ate crappie & wiper.  It's pretty [email protected] tasty.  I heard walleye is good eating, but have yet to catch one.

Other species-  Would have to be yellow tail tuna, halibut & swordfish.  My favorite would have to be raw yellow tail w/ wasabi & soy sauce(sushi).
Favorite to eat is yellowfin tuna, favorite to eat that I catch is walleye, (don't catch many, eat fewer).

Incidently, species is both singular and plural. The word "specie" refers to coined money.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.