Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm up in the air and can't decide what brand I like best. I like Daiichi because they are super sharp but they don't have much of a selection. I like owner because they have a great point that won't roll over and the chrome finish is really durable. I also like gamakatsu because of the wide selection they make. Let me know what your favorite is and why.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Jay_In_Parker said:
gamakatsu and eagleclaw for me

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]
I agree Gamakatsu and Lazer Sharps!!!!

·
Registered
664 Posts
I've been using Gmakatsu for rigging senkos and plastics and I really like them... I started using them because the Yamamoto website said that Gmakatsu designed one of their models just for the senko. I dont fish with live bait so I can't make any recomendations there.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
I try to buy American-made hooks where I can, which basically means Eagle Claw. If I want some type that Eagle Claw doesn't have, I'll go to Gamakatsu.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
any hook thats stuck in a good fish works for me

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I got some Owner hooks to test from NAFC, they werent as sharp as I would of liked. I know a bunch of people who swear by them but I was not to impressed with my first impression.

L

·
0 Posts
I try to buy American-made hooks where I can, which basically means Eagle Claw.
That's awesome, I try to apply the same philosophy in all my purchases and everyday business.

I also like gamkatsu. I love these new VMC sure set treble hooks. I did some experimenting with them last year and I believe they improved hook-up numbers considerably.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Owner, Eagle Claw, Gamakatsu are my number one hooks! and the one hooks that have never worked for me are Matzuo hooks. I think because the point is curved inward to much and makes it hard to set the hook.

·
Registered
16,650 Posts
I guess it all depends on what I'm using the hook for. Gamakatsu and Mustad are what I mostly use. The Mustad's are a light wire type which I use for most bait fishing.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You guys can't tell me that you haven't bought a crankbait or jig that has some nasty looking nickle colored hook that made out of god knows what, and wondered if it would even penetrate your plastic let alone the fish that your trying for. I guess the reason I get caught up in the little details is that they may not seem like much but when you add them up they make a huge difference. Line is another but don't get me started down that path. I figure that once you get the fish to bite that the last thing I want is for it to come off. I hate that.

·
P I K E
10,137 Posts
  Bravo WE on the American-made hooks and the sharpening stone. I use nothing but Eagle Claw unless my cranks and lures come with something else,and if I have to change I replace it with a red or bronze treble. Eagle Claw may not be the sharpest all the time but they have been making strides to correct the problem. Mustad has really gone downhill in quality and since Rapala bought VMC that has put a crimp in Mustad's business also I bet. Gamakatsu has a wide variety but the points are no stronger or sharper than Eagle Claw.
   One more thing I like is, Eagle Claw does have a store at their factory and they have pretty much everything they make there, hooks you rarely see in the stores and at a reasonable price. Its pretty much a one stop fishing store!  ;D...I sound like a commercial!
    Have fun and cya on the water!!!
               TthePikester

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
I'm trying to count the rings on the scales of that bonefish to see how old it is, and I can't quite make it out. Do you think you might be able to blow that picture up just a bit?

Just kidding fishfreek. :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts