Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to ice some small local ponds later this week, what would be a good choice for crappie, perch, and bluegill? I've already gotten a written warning for icing a Wheat Ridge pond (city ordinance), and when I emailed Lakewood to find out if they allowed ice fishing they told me that all ponds should have a sign stating "stay of the ice". Looking for something on the west side. Thanks, Al

·
Banned
2,918 Posts
I think you'll get the same response from most metro area places. South Platte Park will be another that doesn't allow fishing on the ice. I believe Denver ponds prohibit it too.

If you live in the Ken Caryl area, check into their private ponds to see if you can ice them (the general public is prohibited from fishing there in general but residents are not).

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Yeah I am not aware of any ponds other than the ones inside Chatty that you can ice fish...which sucks...

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
As far as I know no ponds around the metro area allow ice fishing, which sucks because it would be nice to hit a few .

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies, I have fished the Chatfield ponds by Kingfisher and only gotten 6" perch.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I was fishing on Rocky Mountain Lake which is just west of I-25 on I-70. It says that lake is controlled by the DOW on the sign there and it talks nothing about ice fishing. None of the lakes in Denver other than City Park have any signs that I have seen that talk about staying off the ice.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I can't remember where to find the info but no ice fishing is allowed on any lakes in denver county. Just because there aren't any signs doesn't mean it's allowed. If you don't believe me give them a call to make sure, I might be wrong but I checked otherwise I would ice a fgew lakes around town.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'll probably give them a call tomorrow to ask them where it's written that you can't ice fish on Denver ponds/lakes. I do find it odd though that at most of the ponds/lakes it's not posted that you can't ice fish or ice skate and it's not in their list of Park Regulations on the link I provided earlier in this thread. I even typed in ice fishing and ice skating on the Denver City website and came up with nothing that said you couldn't partake in these activities. But hey if parking tickets are $75(I got a few), ice fishing on a pond is probably worth $300, so I'll call and let you know how it turns out.

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
ill give u a hint on my favorite pond to fish....... they des. a part of it for ice skating, and it has to be 8 inches thick or more in 8 out of the 12 holes that are drilled by the residental ranger. ;D

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Kevin21, just curious on where you're from and how long you've been here? If you find out different that would be awesome but I'm 31 born and raised in Denver and have never seen anyone ice skate or ice fishm there has to be a reason for it. Glad you are getting informed before heading out again. keep us posted on what you findout.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Bruce,
Kevin is a life long resident of Denver! If it doesn't say any where on the websight and the ponds are not marked then I would give it a shot! You atleast did your home work and you would probably get off the hook with a fair warning in the mean time!
I"m not sure of the pond but It's behind a big health club in Lake wood I believe and the fireman hold a big fishing tourney for the kids there! I think you can ice that one!

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Check, jefferson county site, i remember it saying no ice fishing allowed. Just because it doesn't say anything on the website means you can try, and hoping for a warning is not the smartest idea. Take that for what it's worth...don't go piss and moan later. DID, what's that saying you use so much?lol

·
Banned
2,918 Posts
Denver parks does not allow ANY recreational activities on the ice unless it's specifically posted otherwise. This includes ice fishing and ice skating (ice skating allowed on Evergrean Lake which is run by Denver Parks). They don't even allow people to swim in the lakes in the summer.

I researched it a couple of years ago and that's what I found. I'll see if I can find a link to post here.

·
Banned
2,918 Posts
Here it is, directly from the Denver Municipal Code:

Sec. 39-4. - Restriction or prohibition of uses and activities.

It shall be unlawful for any person, other than authorized personnel, to swim, ice skate, ice fish or otherwise engage in any use of or activities in any area or part of any park, parkway, mountain park or other recreational facility when such use or activity is restricted or prohibited by the manager. This provision shall not be applicable to persons attending events for which a permit has been issued by the manager which expressly authorizes the specific use of or activity that is otherwise restricted or prohibited; however, it shall be unlawful for any person to fail to comply with the terms and conditions of said permit.
You could argue that it hasn't been restricted by the mananger - but I doubt you'll win in court if you get a ticket.

·
Registered
124 Posts
That's very interesting. So the question now becomes who is the manager of Rocky Mountain Lake or any of these other lakes around here and how do we know if they have restricted ice skating or ice fishing on a particular lake? I actually think you could win in court because if they don't write it down anywhere that ice activities, as directed by the manager, are prohibited on that particular lake, then I think their hands are tied.

So today I think I will call and ask to speak to the manager of the lake and ask what written word did they put out that prohibits ice activities on a particular lake.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Here's how I would approach this court case for a ticket for ice fishing in Denver. First I would argue that it says nothing about prohibiting ice fishing on the long list of rules at each park. That list of rules was approved by the manager of parks and rec. Then I would argue that on their website it says nothing about prohibiting ice fishing in their rules and regulations. That list again is approved by the manager. Here's the link again: http://www.denvergov.org/Portals/626/documents/DPR_generalParkRules.pdf
After that I would ask the manager to produce a written document that showed at the time he/she prohibited ice fishing from a particular lake or all lakes. Lastly, I would argue a very weak argument that in their frequently asked questions section it says nothing about prohibiting ice fishing on a particular lake.

But this is all hypothetical because I am going to speak to the manager today. I am trying to save up and buy a house and don't need to spend a couple 100 bucks to try and prove a point. Maybe someone out there on the forum would want to if you aren't sure what to do with your money this month?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts