Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

What's your strategy?

995 views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  720fly 
#1 ·
Hello. I'm new to the forum. I was a "hardware chucker" for 25 years and just recenty picked up a fly rod. Now I'm like a born again fisherman.
Any how, I have tons of questions so I'll start with this. I'm confused on what time of day to fish what kind of fly. A guy told me the following: He starts the morning with midges. By mid-morning switches to nymphs/emergers. Dries and emergers when fish are rising. And strips streamers in the afternoon. Spinners at sunset.
I would like to know your strategy for a day of fishing if you have one?

#2 ·
Guess that's not a bad way to go about it
1: midges hatch everyday of the year, their like rice to a china man
2: you need to learn other insects, as they will dictate what the fish are eating
3: as a long time guide I ALWAys teach people to fish streamers ( bait fish or leach imitation ) you can not fish them wrong, but you can fish them better
4: have fun
5: BOBBERS suck IMO a FLY rod should be fished with FLies, ha ha I'll get some carp for that

#4 ·
If you have not already done so read “All the advice a new fly fisher needs” at the top of the forum. It’s excellent!

#10 ·
Blue team GO!!!!!!! Ha ha ha.
Guess I could have said that midges are like ego's to rod builders ummmmm?
Maybe maybe not,
And who do you call china men? Ummmm again, I was just using an old euphemism and OMG midge larva look like rice putting two and two together yet

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.