Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know the specific behavior of newly stocked trout? I know they probably have to get adapted to thier new surroundings right after they are dumped, but do they go to a certain depth, or do they shoot out in all directions as soon as they hit the water? Its been the topic of conversation lately, and none of us know any real specifics. Does anyone know?

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
I have seen trout stocked a few times. Allways its the same.

Most of the fish mill around where they were released and gradually disperse. Many of the fish are caught right away, the dead and dying fish are picked off easily by herons and other predators. If there are large predators such a muskie in the lake they gorge themselves on the uneducatoed stockers.

Fish that are not dead or eaten by predators will bite on anything and are easily caught.

It takes several hours for most of the survivors to disperse any distance. When the fish are stocked in the am the fishing is good for them till sunset.

I suppose the smarter fish disperse faster but alot hang around (within a few hundred yards) the spot they were released.

Stockers have a lot to learn about avoiding predation, whats good to eat, etc..............

Dan

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dan, you have proven to be the man yet again. Than you for the schooling. (no pun intended) lol That helps a lot, and makes a lot of sense. Thanks for taking the time.

Fiend

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
From what ive seen, Dan hit it right on the head. A private lake im a member at stocks several times a year, and a few years ago they had a tournament where the day before they stocked several nice sized "goldens" (those weird yellow trout) and said if you caught one it was a 100 dollar prize. I was working as "pigboy" that day cutting up the pig they had on the BBQ and took a break and walked down to the area of the shore they stocked from...and saw that there were still dozens of trout still hanging around that area, to include 3 of the goldens they put in. they didnt go far it seems. A friend of mine told me it was the same way there with some walleyes they put in...they didnt go far and hung out near shore for awhile before finally dispersing. we have a rule there that you cant fish the lake within 24 hours of a new stocking...the fish are just too concentrated and easy to catch. what do you expect from hatechery fish though...they arent too smart.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Agree with Dan, I have seen exactly the same behavior in stocked trout. They hang around the spot where they were dumped, and will even follow you along the shoreline hoping to be fed. Newly stocked fish are dumb, dumb, dumb. I don't want any.

Those that survive until the same time next year will be like entirely different fish, they have learned to live and feed themselves in the wild, they are strong and muscular, and the meat will be starting to turn from white to pink.

But they're still pretty dumb. After all, they're trout. :)

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Once I went to creek and every other cast I got a trout. A guy came by and asked how I was doing. I told him ive got like 10 fish in 5 min. He told me it was stocked like 15min before I got there. What a fun day that was.

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
well stocker trout are very easy to catch, especially after they are just stocked. generally they shoot for cover, like weed beds or rocks; also they are very hungry cuz they will eat anything. i spent a couple of hours at rockymountain lake, and caught oodles of stocker trout on everything, panther martins(the trout killer), salmon eggs, powerpait, kastmasters, superdupers, etc ....

fun times

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
From what I have seen at trout hatcheries, trout are raised in large circular containers similar to an above ground swimming pool. The trout swim togethor in a school and go around and around waitin for the next scheduled feeding.

I believe when the trout are released into the lake they maintain the same habbits initially. Typically they will stay close togethor where they were released and stay in a school while searching for food. Most of the time newly stocked trout will just circle an area where they were released. Which explains why the action could be hot one minute then die the next, but then pick back up again shortly after.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I went out to Pueblo res one evening and whe must have missed the stocking truck by an hour or so. We launched the boat and noticed that the water was full of chum. Turned out that the stocked thousands upon thousands of fingerling rainbow directly off the boat ramp. Needless to say that the where no match for all the props launching from the busy north shore marina. I dont think the DOW will ever do that again.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts

Dan makes a good point -- the newly stocked trout don't know what to eat!  They've been fed manufactured food (usually pellets that look kinda like rabbit food) all their lives.  That's why Power Bait and stuff like that works.  A wild trout wouldn't even think about eating that stuff! 

When I was a little kid I lived near a stocked trout pond and my brothers and I would throw clumps of dirt, pieces of bark, etc. in the pond and the trout would always eat whatever it was like it was a big tasty stonefly.  I've seen newly stocked trout respond to a splash by slashing the surface by the dozens like a school of stripers/wipers, except the trout are not chasing shad or other baitfish, they're just responding to the splash.  The automatic feed distributors at the hatchery distribute the feed in large amounts, so a splash generally indicates "feeding time."   

The whole "put and take" idea is odd to me.  It's like going hunting at the zoo.  That's just one man's opinion, and it is a great way to put trout in your frying pan.   

·
Registered
838 Posts
D-Moe said:

That's why Power Bait and stuff like that works.  A wild trout wouldn't even think about eating that stuff! 

Even wild trout will smack power bait, I know many have gone into my frying pan due to tasting the PB. I like catching trout but they are not that smart. Maybe a notch or 2 above bass ;D -- but still pretty dumb.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
The only reason I care about stocker rainbows is for the fish that eat them!

i have never caught a fish that ate trout yet, i really want to ... but never have.

·
Registered
838 Posts
mista tuan said:
The only reason I care about stocker rainbows is for the fish that eat them!

i have never caught a fish that ate trout yet, i really want to ... but never have.
Look me up come ice season when the DOW stocks 11mile with fingerlings -- now that is fun. Not quite stockers but the big trout and pike lovem' and stack up in the cove to feed. talk about consistent action all day long.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
that sounds fun ... so 11 mile during when? i might try it!

·
Registered
838 Posts
Around late January they usually dump a few thousand fingerlings in the lake when the big fish are supposed to be lethargic. They are not all lethargic though and the big boys come out to eat.....

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
thats awsome .... gots to try it!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Last Friday(5-12) my bro-in-law & I were putting in at Arvada(Blunn) just as the stocking truck was leaving. I went there primarily to fish smallies, but we couldn't get a hit, though we tried multiple lures/methods. Well, my bro-in-law is one of those guys who thinks he had a good day fishing if he catches anything, so we went back over where they stocked, by the boat ramp. In the hour & 1/2 since they were put in, the stockers had spread out fairly well along the south shore, but were still most heavily concentrated near where they were put in. I have to admit it was still fun catching them on fly rods w/woolie buggers. Let's face it- it's still a lot more fun catching a bunch of stockers, than working

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Hey nothing wrong with catching stocked trout... I mean someone has to teach them what to eat & what not to eat :) For the longest time (all of my life) I fished with nothing but bait. Now I have been trying other things and have had alot of fun. The first fish I have ever caught on artificial was a little 9" stocker trout. Nothing to brag about but was a blast seeing him bust out of the water to grab that little floating cricket fly. And with each one that I release I think the same thing, "Be Safe little guy, watch out for the Pelicans, and come back to see me in year or two" ;D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts