Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
The restriction is through April 15. I would guess you'll definately be OK at 12:01 AM on Sunday

·
Registered
769 Posts
Last I heard, they had ended the netting at Chatfield. Don't know if the 100 ft restriction is
enforced once the nets are no long being put out. To be safe, 12:01AM Sunday (as per Mr. Ed).

M

·
0 Posts
It's a standard practice they do every year at Cherry Creek and Chatfield between March 15 and April 15. The same is done with Kokanee going up into Gunnison from Blue Mesa Reservoir and from Granby to Shadow Mountain Reservoir. The DOW collects and fertilizes the eggs so they can stock the fish.

Not 100% sure but I think the Walleye eggs stay in Colorado, are hatched, and then the fish are planted. I know with relation to the Kokanee, we are the largest producer in the nation and we trade eggs with other states for stuff like Tiger Musky eggs/fry for planting into our lakes.

Here's a link to the Kokanee production...
http://wildlife.state.co.us/Research/Aquatic/ColdwaterResEcology/

couldn't find anything as detailed for the walleye collection.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
They trade the eggs to other states also, Texas and Oklahoma? They trade them for wipers. Im not 100% sure i remember reading this somewhere, if im wrong dont yell at me lol.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Hey Guys,
Long time no post.

I heard on the radio (950 AM) that the nets were down across the state ... Went to CF on Monday and lots of people were on the dam (even though they left the "100 ft" warning signs up at the West entrance.

I did not see any boaters or shore fisherman being stopped.

I think they just forgot to pull the signs after they pulled the final set of nets.

Mac

1 - 10 of 10 Posts