Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping for a trip this spring and was considering the Miracle Mile as a destination. When is the best time to head that way, and how much public access can a person expect? Thanks

B

·
0 Posts
fishhunter,
Good choice! The MM is a great destination. Come to think of it, my first trip there was in the spring, April I think. The best time to head there is when the wind's not blowing over 50mph(a rare day), when the big trout are moving in and feeding(alot of the time) and when the flows are reasonable(as far as I know-unpredictable). One of the biggest considerations as far as when, at least in the spring, is the weather and the condition of the roads. From Sinclair though the Seminoe mountains, the roads generally don't get too bad(other than I-80 to Sinclair), but the other access's can get very nasty when wet.
Public access is pretty much unlimited as far as I know. Above the bridge is a campground and open access to just below Kortes Dam(a short distance from the bridge to the dam, maybe 3/8 to 1/2 a mile??)
Below the bridge I think it's open all the way to Pathfinder ( from 6 to ? miles depending on the level of Pathfinder Reservoir by foot.)
I haven't fished it in quite a few years and I'm sure that some of the other members can provide more detailed, up to date info.
Good luck!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Salmo,
Thank you for the info. I'm hoping that I'll have the time and resources to make the trip in May, when the winter weather is at least less common. I've been looking at the Wyoming fishing sites and trying to get as much information as I can, as this will likely be my only out of state trip of the year and I want to make the very best of it. I know this is a bit subjective, but how long should a person stay to really get the 'feel' for the water? Is a week too short?
Also, what types of patterns should I be planning on using at that time of year? Much thanks for any info you can provide!

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Thats one of my favorite places to fish, ive spent alot of time there since i was a kid. lots o memories ;) BUT....I usually only fish that area in the winter....Nov-April...theres about 2 or 3 miles of access on that stretch, so finding a good run isnt that hard even if its kinda crowded. if you can fish it during the weekdays, youll have plenty of river to yourself.

bring a heavier rod (or something you can cast in the wind with) and some good felt soled or cleated boots...the moss is very slippery there. also watch the water levels closely (pick a rock or something to keep an eye on as you fish) so you dont get stuck on an island if the water comes up from a dam release. its happened before. if the water is high, work the edges hard, you can still catch fish. lately the tactic has been to move around alot, i havnt found big groups of fish like i used too...so be prepared to "hole hop" if the fishing is slow.

i fish heavier tippet there....3x...and scuds and sowbugs almost exclusively under an indicator and splitshot. if the water stays high there should be a good run of fish out of the reservoir, so cross your fingers. i havnt seen any huge fish come out of there in a while, but that doesnt mean they arent there....

good luck :)

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
April is a good month, if the river is up I always had good luck up in the canyon with glo bugs. Fish the outside of big holes or fast flats.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
The last time I was at the mile I thought I was fishing to the largest trout I had ever seen. They turned out to be big old carp. I wouldn't want to drive that road from sinclair to the river if the weather had been bad at all. Definatley check the weather. The road from the reef on the other hand is not bad at all. You could hit both!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do any of you have any photos of the river? I've never been there and would sure like to see what I'm getting myself into! Thanks!

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Thats funny, i once spent about 45 minutes fishing over some "big browns" on a sandbar that wouldnt take my fly...until i switched to an egg pattern, which one took and made a long run with. about 5 minutes later my "big brown" turned out to be a huge carp...

you cant win them all i guess.

heres some pics from the mile...not too good, but will give you a small glimpse at least of how the river looks. its big, and flows can make for hazardous wading at times....but its usually not that bad. theres plenty of room for a couple of guys to fish, and if you can find a long deep run you can usually hook up. i like to move around a lot and come back and refish holes throughout the day.

a good run up near the campground area...this one usually gives up some nice fish.

my buddy ive fished with since i was a kid...goofin off and playing a fish

a brown...

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow Rottal, I had no idea it was so open. It looks kinda like the Gunny above Blue Mesa. Now I'm FIRED UP!! Thanks!

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
its VERY open lol

i like that kind of terrain also and really enjoy fishing that river, but the wind can be horrible at times. if you are not used to fishing in it...well, after a few trips up there you will be.

if the wind is bad and its above freezing i will throw streamers....trying to get good drifts with an indicator in the wind can be frustrating. take my advice though and bring a fast action rod...it will save you some pain and allow you to fish if its gusting 40 mph out there. i fish a Sage 9 1/2 ft 7 weight XP up there, (yeah, its a real cannon) but it really outfishes the 9 ft 5 or 6 weights most guys wanna use. anything will work, but some rods just do better on big windy water.

heres another pic...you can see theres not much in the background...kinda looks like the surface of Mars in some areas...but its not that bad, there are trees near the camping spots and the mountains are just west of the river.

take some pictures when you go...good luck ;)

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Right on everybody...I'm going to plan for M-F trip in early April. I can't wait! Thanks for all the info.

·
Registered
16,683 Posts
I like that last pic,it's the islands below the bridge.I've fished there many,many times.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
I think the pic of the Brown is above the bridge a really long deep fast run. We called that Janice's hole because back in the early 90's everytime we went there was this big fly fishing lady camped right there. She was really cool and helped us out alot with tech. for the river.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Slayers right...its below the bridge near the islands...im not sure of the exact name of the hole, as everyone calles them something different. ive heard it called "split hole", but my friends call it "john's hole" as i like to fish it if the water is right and i usually do pretty well there.

the other pics are up near the campground on some of the wider stretches...theres a good deep run there that has a trough that sometimes holds big fish...its hard to tell, i tok the pics awhile ago and alot of that area looks the same unless you are standing next to it. ive seen alot of big fish come out of it, and when i was a kid saw some fish that were over 8 lbs come out of there. ahhh, the good ol days.... ;)

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
The first time at the mile 93 I was standing on the bridge looking down and right in the midle there where 2 rainbows that had to push 20lbs. couldn't get close to them because the river really use to run hard back then in the spring. Still was cool to see and today those are still the biggest rainbows I have ever seen.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
I guess thats why I screwed up the Fish ID test so bad. Well those where either the biggest rainbows or carp I ever seen.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts