Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When ice fishing for larger bows what works better for you, jigging or dead stick? When using kastmasters do you jig or dead stick and do you tip it with something? All I seem to catch while fishing for bows are stockers would like to hook into a better fish through the ice.

Thanks
Chris

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
both! I usually fishing for bows with 2 poles. One I am jigging alot and the other I deadstick. Usually when I start I have a Kastmaster which makes alot of motion and flash which brings the bows in to investigate. They then usually hit the jig I have on the other line and sometimes the kastmaster. After a little while and a couple hits on what I'm using I usually switch to to jigs and keep jigging one constantly and the bows keep coming.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I usually catch a lot of stockers on a dead stick (even with pretty big jigs), but for larger holdover, put-grow-and-take, or wild produced 'bows I have better luck jigging with small jigs (somewhat actively, with pauses between, but not with big motion).

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I catch 90% of my bow by jigging the lure once or twice and then dead sticking. Wait after the first little tug and then set if you get a second. If no second bite then jig it a little then drop it a little lower than before. WHAM-O it works almost all the time! (except at 11 mile)

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
good tips. It's funny how different fishing is over here. In other places, like canada and back east, they consider you stupid if you fish deeper than 4 ft for trout. Strange...I've nver caught a trout in water shallower than 4 ft through the ice.
Good tips, a good thing also to do is alternate which rods you are jigging, jig one a few times, set it down, then jig the other fairly nearby, set it down, go jig the first pole, set it down, go to the other pole, repeat......

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I fish for bows pretty much the same way that ePIC does, deadsticking one and jigging the other. Read somewhere a long time ago about this, the writer called it the "attractor method", based on the theory that the more aggresive fish will be likely to hit the jigged lure, less aggresive ones the deadsticked one, and the jigged lure gets their attention and draws them in. Usually use a kasty for jigging. If it gets slow I will lift and flutter down the kasty 5 or 6 feet at a time to get their attention. Works for me.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I find it totally depends on the day. Some days they like it sitting still, and others they want it moving. A little trial and error till ya find what works seems to work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts