Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love targeting those huge bass cruising the shallows of Granby. If there not biting I head over to Chambers because there’s a healthy population of walleye and want to land me a beast eye. I bet you didn’t know those high mountain lakes Colorado is known for can produce hog sized wiper either. Our cold mountain reservoirs and/or lakes cater especially well to warm water species. I always thought the almighty trout was this state’s premier fish because we have the regional topography to support populations of this fish and was surprised to see how fast warmwater species evolved. Could it be the DOW is secretly engineering these warmwater species to live anywhere? Are they trying to alleviate the pressure put on them by our local wiper mafia? Not likely but it seems those front range anglers were right in that our state should focus less on trout. Alabama has the geographical infrastructure trout need to thrive right? Trout get a bad rap for being top priority. We do have a unique landscape that gives all anglers a shot at an array of species but think the trout is Colorado. I too would like to see wiper, bass, and walleye thrive and agree there needs to be more done. We have the infrastructure but need a few bodies of water managed like a gold metal fishery. Point here being I don’t fish halibut when I’m chasing bonefish down in the keys. When in Rome fellas….. we got to embrace the slimer!

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
That sure is a lot of words for a simple whine.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sure is a lot of words for a simple whine.
The trout is Colorado my friend..... not that complicated your right. There's a reason Colorado is known for being a trout haven and find it quite entertaining when guys like you think I'm taking sides :thumb: This state is amazing because of it's diversity but the trout remains king!

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
I just wish some drunken retard would grab 30 live burbots out of the fontinelle spillway, and dump them in lake dillon. that would be the greatest overkill. it would be fishing anarchy.

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
The trout is Colorado my friend..... not that complicated your right. There's a reason Colorado is known for being a trout haven and find it quite entertaining when guys like you think I'm taking sides :thumb: This state is amazing because of it's diversity but the trout remains king!
Have you ever fished in any other state in the rocky mountain region besides colorado?

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Have you ever fished in any other state in the rocky mountain region besides colorado?
I have. Co,Wy,Mt., Or, CA, ND, SD, NE, KS, TX, FL, AK, MN, WI, IN, OH, MI and MB plus ON in Canada.

People with trout want walleye or bass, people with bass want trout, we always want what we don't have.

I like trout, but then again I like bass, eyes, wipers...

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
A buddy of mine got "schooled" by a crew of, we'll call them "really smart local anglers", when he was walking into Quincy the other day.

"What are you fishing for?", they asked him.

"Bass", he replied.

<with a look of disgust, and a need to show their clear and abundant angling knowledge, they then replied> "This is the wrong time to be fishing for bass, bro...this is a trout state."

"Oh yeah?" My friend inquires...

<now with even more disdain, and snarkiness> "Yep, trout state!"

He just walked away.

Sure, it's a trout state for people that don't live here, or for people who don't really fish. I used to fish for trout a lot. Loved 'em, thought they were the best thing ever, then in 1993ish, I hooked into a 15 wiper. Do I have to say anything else?

Trout are trout. They're pretty, they're fun to pass the time, but eventually, one yearns for a bigger, better challenge. On the front range, and east of, I really don't see the point of stocking trout in waters less than 50' deep. Not too many reservoirs in the metro that are that deep, Aurora being the exception. Aurora also produces some pig ass trout that rival 11 Mile fish. Other than that though, just kind of a waste of money and resources, IMO. I can remember catching trout in Cherry Creek back in the 90's during warm water months, and they'd bleed like stuck pigs and just die when you tried to put them back in the water.

Trout are great for tourism. But like your example, trout in lower elevation lakes are about as worthless ass a large mouth bass in Taylor Park.

I'm sure there's room for both, right? ::)

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Although I agree with you, ATK...... "Trout are trout. They're pretty, they're fun to pass the time, but eventually, one yearns for a bigger, better challenge." this I don't agree with. Different strokes for different folks, but being aware that fisheries can and should be diverse through out the state is important. Don't live in a trout bubble. ****, I have even heard some people wanting to get rid of their boat cause they are in slight love with sissy sticking.

I think little CM is missing the point. DOW needs to do a better job managing waters with specific species that fit that fishery. Can't just throw out trout everywhere like it's fish welfare.

I even heard a nasty rumor that you been trying to get out with a sissy stick, ATK. Say it ain't so!

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Like throwing stockers in local ponds to put smiles on faces for maybe two weeks.... which actually helps create the keep them while you can mentality. I grew up in Thornton/Northglenn area when I was a kid there wasn't a mud puddle that wasn't loaded with gills. There also wasn't a mud puddle that didn't have 20 kids fishing it every day during the summer.... The gills aren't there anymore and neither are the kids.

I love stocker trout down here, but I love them down here for selfish reasons.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Those selfish reasons are good for everyone. My first solo fishing trips were riding my bike to Wash Park to fish for gills in Grasmere lake when I was a youngin . Would search the house for change to buy me some gold hooks and fireballs,lol. Would spend countless days and hours around the lake sight fishing for them with my bait and hook hanging under a bobber. DD def knows whats up.

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
Although I agree with you, ATK...... "Trout are trout. They're pretty, they're fun to pass the time, but eventually, one yearns for a bigger, better challenge." this I don't agree with. Different strokes for different folks, but being aware that fisheries can and should be diverse through out the state is important. Don't live in a trout bubble. ****, I have even heard some people wanting to get rid of their boat cause they are in slight love with sissy sticking.

I think little CM is missing the point. DOW needs to do a better job managing waters with specific species that fit that fishery. Can't just throw out trout everywhere like it's fish welfare.

I even heard a nasty rumor that you been trying to get out with a sissy stick, ATK. Say it ain't so!
I try to be well learned in as many disciplines as I can, big dog! I used to flail like there was no tomorrow. I was never that great at it, but I can work my way around a stretch of water.

I guess what I was trying to say is, I don't hate trout or anyone that prefers to fish for them, but I do hate being told this is what your money gets you, take or leave it.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I try to be well learned in as many disciplines as I can, big dog! I used to flail like there was no tomorrow. I was never that great at it, but I can work my way around a stretch of water.

I guess what I was trying to say is, I don't hate trout or anyone that prefers to fish for them, but I do hate being told this is what your money gets you, take or leave it.
Fashos.

I wonder if we can get someone to take us out for some sissy sticking. Looks like fun.

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
I have. Co,Wy,Mt., Or, CA, ND, SD, NE, KS, TX, FL, AK, MN, WI, IN, OH, MI and MB plus ON in Canada.

People with trout want walleye or bass, people with bass want trout, we always want what we don't have.

I like trout, but then again I like bass, eyes, wipers...

So What are your opinions of the CPW's netting/kill operations on blue Mesa for lake trout? Or plans to rotenone lakes like deweese, and Elkhead? Homie.. Have you ever fished Elkhead before? Anyone who has thrown plastic lures in that lake knows the potential it has. Or how do you feel about the yampa River, below steamboat springs?

That is the core of the bullshit people are talking about... The neglect of warmwater fisheries, and outright figurative defecating on them in favor of trout.

Have you ever read articles how other states and countries feel about rainbow trout? Have you ever read up on rainbow trout's feeding habits? Have you ever tried green eggs and ham? Would you ever... Sam-I-am?

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
And, you mentioned Wyoming.

Seminoe/pathfinder/alcova and the river between and below.... Has great trout opportunities. They also have lots of walleye.

The lakes on the Laramie prairie I also learned when looking at wy creel/shock surveys... Have big walleyes too.

Montana has a beautiful mountain lake called flathead lake.. With big lakers/rainbows/Browns/cut throats... And is a great place to catch largemouth bass.

I can go on and on and on and on...

But nah, we're not like them. But we could be... But nah, let's just reach for rainbows like we are all drinking zimas in front of the Castro theater...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts