Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
7,805 Posts
A buddy of mine got "schooled" by a crew of, we'll call them "really smart local anglers", when he was walking into Quincy the other day.

"What are you fishing for?", they asked him.

"Bass", he replied.

<with a look of disgust, and a need to show their clear and abundant angling knowledge, they then replied> "This is the wrong time to be fishing for bass, bro...this is a trout state."

"Oh yeah?" My friend inquires...

<now with even more disdain, and snarkiness> "Yep, trout state!"

He just walked away.

Sure, it's a trout state for people that don't live here, or for people who don't really fish. I used to fish for trout a lot. Loved 'em, thought they were the best thing ever, then in 1993ish, I hooked into a 15 wiper. Do I have to say anything else?

Trout are trout. They're pretty, they're fun to pass the time, but eventually, one yearns for a bigger, better challenge. On the front range, and east of, I really don't see the point of stocking trout in waters less than 50' deep. Not too many reservoirs in the metro that are that deep, Aurora being the exception. Aurora also produces some pig ass trout that rival 11 Mile fish. Other than that though, just kind of a waste of money and resources, IMO. I can remember catching trout in Cherry Creek back in the 90's during warm water months, and they'd bleed like stuck pigs and just die when you tried to put them back in the water.

Trout are great for tourism. But like your example, trout in lower elevation lakes are about as worthless ass a large mouth bass in Taylor Park.

I'm sure there's room for both, right? ::)

· Registered
7,805 Posts
Although I agree with you, ATK...... "Trout are trout. They're pretty, they're fun to pass the time, but eventually, one yearns for a bigger, better challenge." this I don't agree with. Different strokes for different folks, but being aware that fisheries can and should be diverse through out the state is important. Don't live in a trout bubble. ****, I have even heard some people wanting to get rid of their boat cause they are in slight love with sissy sticking.

I think little CM is missing the point. DOW needs to do a better job managing waters with specific species that fit that fishery. Can't just throw out trout everywhere like it's fish welfare.

I even heard a nasty rumor that you been trying to get out with a sissy stick, ATK. Say it ain't so!
I try to be well learned in as many disciplines as I can, big dog! I used to flail like there was no tomorrow. I was never that great at it, but I can work my way around a stretch of water.

I guess what I was trying to say is, I don't hate trout or anyone that prefers to fish for them, but I do hate being told this is what your money gets you, take or leave it.

· Registered
7,805 Posts
To answer the plethora of questions you threw out Dave:

CPW netting kill ops and rotenone: No i disagree with it all.

Fished the Yampa, not Elkhead: leave the bass and the pike there.

I agree DOW puts emphasis in favor of trout to the neglect/demise of warmwater.

The rainbow as we know it now is a bastardized homogenous glob of many various strains of rainbows and not something that was ever seen or created in the wild. I posted an article to that effect a few years back actually.

My point was we always want what we don't have, guys in warmwater states wish they had trout and guys in trout states want bass and eyes, but yes it sucks that DOW favors the tourist/easy dollar/least effort stocking process and a lot of what happens on the West slope is due to the feds and their obsession with native vs non native species.

As far as which is more of a challenge(warmwater or salmonidae), I'd say it depends on the what, where and how. Is a farm pond bass easier to catch than a Cheesman Canyon bow in a 50 CFS flow? Or a metro pond bass compared to stockers at Jefferson Lake?

Sam I am said he who had never tried green eggs and ham as he cried and maybe he lied said Sam I am.
P-Diddy got some lyrics for ya, Goonie!

Well stated.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.