Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scouting around today after some mega rains... found this lake. It goes back out of the picture for quite a ways, but I couldn't even get a damn line in the water...

Uncool, man.....

·
Registered
24,552 Posts
Weedless frog and 100 lb test nano so you can cast it......

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Each pad has a fibrous stem going down to the lake bottom... Even if I hooked a fish out there, it is unlikely I would ever get it to shore with the tens of thousands of water lily stems getting caught up on my line.

Its not like a patch of lily pads near a downed tree in a clear lake... The entire lake is covered or infested with them...

Might as well use dynamite.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Each pad has a fibrous stem going down to the lake bottom... Even if I hooked a fish out there, it is unlikely I would ever get it to shore with the tens of thousands of water lily stems getting caught up on my line.

Its not like a patch of lily pads near a downed tree in a clear lake... The entire lake is covered or infested with them...

Might as well use dynamite.
"Can't" died in the hills with "won't" and "don't how know how". Serious dude.....

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think I said "can't"... I used the term "unlikely."

And since I have never seen a lake so overrun with these pads before, then I guess "don't know how" would be applicable.

z's suggestion of 100 lb test sounds intriguing. :)

You'd need it, towing all that cabbage back to shore along with the fish.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
50lb + braid and a frog or other weedless bait
Need a 7' heavy or heavier rod too

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Heres a video of guys pulling in a bunch of bass completely covered in weeds. Has only ever happened to me once, I think next year you need to invest in a frog setup:cool:

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the braid. I have a 6' one piece Eagle Claw heavy rod and a 8' MH Cabela's King Kat rod... Both are spooled up with heavy braid.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I don't see why the king kat rod wouldn't work if you have heavy bread. That's probably where all the public water catfish are hiding :D

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys. Guess I need to get some frogs and try it out... Never frog fished before... Just hula poppers down in Texas... One of those would get lost on the first cast at this spot...

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I asked my buddy Rick about this place. He said he fishes it in early Spring and catches nice bass... Before the pads get bad. He said nobody ever fishes it in the Summer or Fall because "there's too dang many freakin' lily pads, can't get a durn line in the water!'

Perhaps a weedless frog rig would give me an advantage. :)

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here's the area I took the picture... This is the only non-private access to the lake. If I could drag a boat down, I could cruise this lake, but shoreline access is limited. The satellite pic must have been taken in Spring, before the pads got bad.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here's the google maps street view... Also a shot of the parking area, looking down the road toward the bridge from which the picture was taken.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts