Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's one for kicks and basic conversation......

What do YOU do when the fishing slows down while you're at it?

For example: When I was a kid and even still, when I'm fishing and it get's slow, I'll go mess around by trying to catch crayfish or maybe fiddle with my tackle. At Bonny Res, I'll grab the net from the boat and run around all over the shoreline netting the schools of shad when they're running up close. I even start trying my budweiser can crankbait that my pops bought me from Cabelas just for fun. Now that I smoke, I'll tend to chain smoke cigarettes. If I have a couple of cold ones in my backpack, I'll just sit and drink up to nature.....

What are the thoughts of the forum? What do you guys/gals do when things slow down?

·
Registered
804 Posts
When things slow down I try something different. Location, presentation or lure choice. If alternatives fail I go back to my first plan. If that fails I pop open a cold one only to drink half of it before I think of something else to try.

M

·
0 Posts
I look for snakes or crawdad or just gear people lose on the shore, always have a can of cope waiting in my tackle box, should i get reallllllllly bored

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I often end up fixing all that tackle that I needed to get to. Tuning cranks, attaching new leaders, organizing lures and stuff, etc. but when my son is with me, I end up trying to keep him out of trouble...

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have really never thought about until until now. I find myself wondering if the budweiser can crankbait catches fish? If the budweiser can crankbait catches fish is it because they like Budweiser? If they like Budweiser do some of them have drinking problems, you know do drink like fish? ;D

M

·
0 Posts
if u r a member of the nafc (north american fishing club) there is a whole article about beer can baits, they work i guess

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Like2Fish said:
I have really never thought about until until now. I find myself wondering if the budweiser can crankbait catches fish? If the budweiser can crankbait catches fish is it because they like Budweiser? If they like Budweiser do some of them have drinking problems, you know do drink like fish? ;D
hmmmmmm, a real conumdrum, do fish drink like fish?  So many other deep or philosophical questions come my mind when the fishing is slow.

1. Why do southerners pronounce "bream" as "brim"?

2. Why do southerners call bluegills bream?

3. How much wood, would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

4. How could I have been so stupid to marry my second wife?

5. Really how could I have so stupid to marry my second wife?

6.  Why is the weather almost always lousy on my days off?

7.  Why does Slayer catch more and bigger fish than me?

8. I think the lure is shiny, why aren't the fish biting?

9. How could I be so stupid to marry my second wife?

10. I wonder if I could hit that duck on my next cast?

11. Would my wife notice if I bought a new boat?

12.  I really must have been mentally ill to marry a psychotic, self-centered witch, that not only hated my kids but did not like her own, right?

13. If I had life to live over again, would I?

14.  Am I really addicted to Coloradofisherman.com?

15. Do other men cry when their line breaks and the lose a Master Angler quality fish?

Dan

·
Registered
24,589 Posts
When the fish dont bite at Spinney I usually sit and admire nature...the Collegiate Peaks reflection in a calm lake from the dam at Spinney...a trout gently sipping bugs out of my casting reach...the gulls flying looking for food...a pelican doing its crazy dance trying to take off...the clouds drifting lazily in the sky...but all of that is changed now because of Dan...

I am going to sit and pray that I never run into his second wife!

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Lately I fall asleep, since I work nights and go fishing when I get off work and thats usually bedtime.
I normally just move my bait around to different locations I might throw some small rocks at my bait just to attract attention I dont know if this really works but sometimes I get hits pretty soon after that.
I also might switch up presentations try different techniques or I just sit there and wait for them to get hungry again, I'm the type of fisherman that doesnt need to catch fish to enjoy myself.
If I have kids I try to help them so they dont get to bored with the time between bites. I look for birds and other wildlife that are about, I walk the shore sight fishing.
I talk to other anglers out there see how they are doing and if they are doing better then me I find out how they are doing better then me and go try it.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Gee whiz Dan. I hope I don't meet that second wife of yours either. Just hope that your third (if you have one) is a keeper because soon you'll be broke from all those court fees and such. ;) J/K

Anyways when the fishing gets slow, I usually search for crayfish and lost tackle, sleep, fart, eat, fart, annoy my girlfriend, fart, sometimes drink, walk around the lake, and then fart some more.

·
Registered
24,589 Posts
Gotmusky...our human "motor boat"?!

Now I know why the new four stroke motors cut emissions...

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Interesting, interesting, interesting..... Nicely done, fellas. Keep em comin. We're just an entirely creative forum. Everyone does their own unique thing when it slows down in the field(?) Like I was saying, interesting....

Dan, WHY DID you marry her? LOL!!

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dan said:
14.  Am I really addicted to Coloradofisherman.com?

Dan
Oh man..... I've asked myself the same thing plenty of times. My girlfriend is now worried...

I think I'm in denial.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
gotmusky? said:
Gee whiz Dan. I hope I don't meet that second wife of yours either. Just hope that your third (if you have one) is a keeper because soon you'll be broke from all those court fees and such. ;) J/K
My third and final wife is a keeper,  she is really a quite wonderful woman.  She tolerates my fishing and my addiction to this forum well.  She often goes fishing with me.  If you ever see a 14 foot blue and white "fish hawk" with a pretty lady stretched out in it on a reclining lawn chair and a very contented looking guy running the motor that is us, say hi!

When the fish aren't biting if I am not trying new locations, presentations, bait and lures I am usually just sitting back and relaxing.  I find fishing is very theraputic and helps me deal with the real world away from the water.  Listening to the water, wind and birds just sets a person free.  I find some, not all of the most enjoyable time I spend with my wife and kids is when we go fishing.  

And as a side note I really don't know what I was thinking when I married the 2nd wife.  Probably the dumbest thing I ever did. I should have listened to my oldest son who was about 14 at the time........he said "Dad, don't do it!"

Dan

·
Registered
110 Posts
If they are not biting. I usually sit there and think.....

I should really clean out this tackle box...

I wonder if the wife has the grass mowed yet...

I hope that she washes my Harley, since she is already dirty from mowing...

Why is this dork next to me catching all of the fish...

and lately......

Why does 1eyered kiss his fish...... ??? ???

Just kidding 1eye

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
If they are not biting i go to sleep also. I work 7 days a week, the only time i get off is if i go fishing. That's what happens when u work for family. Another thing i do is think why did i go to this lake and think which lake im going to go to next. Which i have been doing alot lately lol.

·
Registered
16,650 Posts
I keep fishing,fishing,fishing.If I'm sure the lake I'm fishing is a "dead hole"then I leave and go fish somewhere else.My fishing time is too precious to waste!How did the fisherman get to Carneghie Hall? Practice,Practice,Practice!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I am just loving this discussion.

When the bite is slow and I don't have the boys with me, I watch the scenery, clean out the tackle box and wonder where I should go fish next.

For me fishing is a escape from reality. Always feel refreshed after a day of fishing.

When I have the kids with me, its all about chaos control.

shadow

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
its funny thats this was asked because today i had some
time on my hands because i had not fish biting

i was working on my jedi mind control but i think the lizard that i was trying to use it on was not helping me out any
all he kept doing was looking at me

i kept asking him where are the fish
you can talk tell me where they are
why did dan marry his second wife
would it help if i started kissing my fish when i do catch some

1 - 20 of 44 Posts