Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Sad indeed.

I beached my boat and sat on the shore for a half hour last night.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Many years ago had a lightning storm come up while on one of the lakes near Mt Hood, Oregon. Kicked my pontoon to the nearest shore as quick as I could. Then found myself wondering if sheltering near tall trees was all that smart.

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
Just got done fishing a open northern NM lake as a thunderhead blew over. Every time I raised my rod... I would feel static electricity hit my hand. Regardless to say we didn't stay long....

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Being a father of 3 girls (10, 13, & 14) I can only imagine what that poor man is going through. My deepest condolences to him, his wife, and family. Many of us take life for granted and this is a tragic reminder that everyday we get to spend with family and friends is precious.

·
Banned
553 Posts
Just got done fishing a open northern NM lake as a thunderhead blew over. Every time I raised my rod... I would feel static electricity hit my hand. Regardless to say we didn't stay long....
Ive had that happen too. I heard a humming and couldnt figure out what it was till i eventually figured it out and stuck my ear close to the rod. I slowly put it down and just watched my dunk rod. Very creepy feeling.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I've been there done that, poles humming and hair standing straight up...no fun but really what are your chances of getting struck by lightning from a boat or shore?
I think it would be a better way to go than dying of cancer or something like that.

·
Registered
16,866 Posts
I too have experienced the sparks jumping from your finger to the reel. Prolly 10 times now. Fishing is usually quite good when the air is ionized.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I am guilty of fishing through a couple lightning storms from my boat and from shore....I don't regret it either cause fishing was sweet but it's definitely not something I do often. I'm sorta with redleader, what are the chances? I guess this family found that answer out though, can't even imagine what they are going through

1 - 16 of 16 Posts