Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
553 Posts
That really sucks. Cant even think of what that might be like. Thanks for sharin dickydooindurango.

·
Registered
9,161 Posts
My condolences to the father... I can't imagine what he must be going through...

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Sad indeed.

I beached my boat and sat on the shore for a half hour last night.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Many years ago had a lightning storm come up while on one of the lakes near Mt Hood, Oregon. Kicked my pontoon to the nearest shore as quick as I could. Then found myself wondering if sheltering near tall trees was all that smart.

·
Registered
9,161 Posts
Just got done fishing a open northern NM lake as a thunderhead blew over. Every time I raised my rod... I would feel static electricity hit my hand. Regardless to say we didn't stay long....

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Being a father of 3 girls (10, 13, & 14) I can only imagine what that poor man is going through. My deepest condolences to him, his wife, and family. Many of us take life for granted and this is a tragic reminder that everyday we get to spend with family and friends is precious.

·
Banned
553 Posts
Just got done fishing a open northern NM lake as a thunderhead blew over. Every time I raised my rod... I would feel static electricity hit my hand. Regardless to say we didn't stay long....
Ive had that happen too. I heard a humming and couldnt figure out what it was till i eventually figured it out and stuck my ear close to the rod. I slowly put it down and just watched my dunk rod. Very creepy feeling.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I've been there done that, poles humming and hair standing straight up...no fun but really what are your chances of getting struck by lightning from a boat or shore?
I think it would be a better way to go than dying of cancer or something like that.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Lightning can strike as far as 10 to 15 miles from the area where it is raining. That's about the distance you can hear thunder. If you can hear thunder, you are within striking distance.

·
Registered
16,692 Posts
I too have experienced the sparks jumping from your finger to the reel. Prolly 10 times now. Fishing is usually quite good when the air is ionized.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I am guilty of fishing through a couple lightning storms from my boat and from shore....I don't regret it either cause fishing was sweet but it's definitely not something I do often. I'm sorta with redleader, what are the chances? I guess this family found that answer out though, can't even imagine what they are going through

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
Man that sucks. I have been in a few very spooky situations in the past 10 years....just leave when you question whether you should be there. Even if the wiper are on fire :(

1 - 16 of 16 Posts