Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What tips do you have for lake trout?

Here is my set-up. I have a canoe but no trolling moter and no electronics. Am I out of my league going for lakers? I like fishing at Gross Res. and Jefferson Lake as well as Grand Lake.

Any other places within 2 hour drive from Denver?

What techniques do you recommend?

BTW: I just found this forum last week and I have learned a lot from reading all of your posts. I have fished a lot but mainly for trout in the same lakes and using the same techniques every year. So I don’t have a lot of experience. Thanks for all of your tips!

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Welcome to the site.

While im no expert id suggest getting a cheap sonar unit and a battery to atleast be able to locate fish. Since Laker are mostly, not all times on year but for the most part deep id think jigging would be your best bet as you wont really be able to troll. Tube jigs tip w/ meat is best. Id go with white or a bright yellow.

IMO

[me=Jay_In_Parker]  [/me]

M

·
0 Posts
Not sure how portable you are with the canoe but at Lake Granby, I've had pretty good success at west of Sunshine Point. Take the road to Arapahoe Bay that goes over the dam. If you can, find a pullout by the point and carry the canoe down some rocks. You shouldn't have a problem launching from there. I've seen lakers there sipping the surface both in the middle of summer and at the end of summer. I've had success using DEAD minnows on the bottom, crawlers under a bobber, Matuka Sculpin and Woolly Buggars, white jigs, etc. Never caught anything bigger than 22 inches from that area but the ones I have caught have made a fine table fare for the "surf and turf" BBQ later in the day!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i would go with the meat
most bigger fish get that way from eating meat
Make sense: but what kind of meat?

Prime Rib? Italian Sausages? I like mine medium rare- but what do trout like?

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
LoL,

Sucker meat will be the most common answer but there was a thread here awhile back that ham works really well too.

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
391 Posts
I would say iceoff is one of the best times to catch lakers shallow.I would hit Granby(Grand is good also,just not the numbers).launch your canoe at the boatramp in arapahoe bay and head up to some of the rocky points to the north west.Throw some spoons(kastmasters,pot'o gold,kamalooper etc) and some countdown rapalas.You can use another rod with bait while working your lures.(2nd rod stamp ofcourse).I can almost guarentee(sp?)some lakers.Good luck

lyn

M

·
0 Posts
OK so here is another suggestion: Williams Fork. You really don't need a boat to fish this lake, in fact, my best success has been from shore (or ice) as opposed to from boat Same techniques as what is above just be sure when you park by the shore, you stay away from areas that could be potentially muddy. The slightest sprinkle and that mud turns slicker than snot!

Popular spots include the rocky area to the west of the launch ramp (by the dam), the inlet area (passed the campground) and the fingers area (coves) on the other side of the lake.

L

·
0 Posts
Early spring, macks will be anywhere in the water column. My ten year old daughter (with a little help from dad) has caught some huge lakers on the sub-surface with a floating rapala. I've seen people catch the Granby mainstay (22 inches) in Arapahoe Bay in spring. Go with lures (rapalas) IMO, If your going to jig for them on the bottom, go with tubes or bucktails.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts