Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering with this cold weather if any of the local lakes will freeze? How long does it take? Boyd was a little frozen at the inlet last week. Could the inlet be ice fishable soon?

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
i have heard that with cold temps that some lakes can gain as much as 1 inch of ice a day on them, don't know how true it is.. i just know that right before ice on i am praying that it is and i'm watching the temps.. i have also heard that one good cold clear night with no wind can completely ice over a lake.then once it is covered then it gets thicker...

·
Registered
67 Posts
I called the office at Aurora Reservoir around noon today.  The lady told me there is 6 inches of ice in the coves, about an inch on the rest of the lake, and no open water.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
i ice fished mcall two years ago , caught 10 channel cats, 3 perch and lots of rainbows, a ranger told me that that the city dosent allow ice fishing on mccall anymore , but i heard earlier when we had good ice that there was people on it

·
Registered
53 Posts
Boyd has 3 inches and is fishing...8 guys out there yesterday.
Lake loveland is the same but nobody fishn.
Thats all I checked out.
Nothing like being able to get off work at 3 and getting a few hours of hardwater fishing on the front range! ;D

·
Registered
6 Posts
WE WERE ON BOYD YESTERDAY, THE FISHING WAS GREAT . CAUGHT 7 FISH BIGEST WENT 2 LBS. THE ICE IS REAL THIN. THE GUY I WENT WITH YESTERDAY CALLED TODAY AND WENT BACK OUT TODAY. CAUGHT 10 MORE REALLY NICE ONES. HE SAID THEY WERE BIGGER THAN THE ONES WE CAUGHT YESTERDAY .

·
Registered
166 Posts
MOSE, were you guys by the inlet at all?

How long do you guys think the safe ice will last around the metro area? I really want to try out a few of the spots.

·
Registered
6 Posts
NO WE WERE ON THE NORTH EAST SIDE. I DID FISH OPEN WATER LAST WEEK BY THE BOAT MARINA AND CAUGHT 2 BOWES IN A COUPLE HOURS ALSO PRETTY NICE FISH. THE ICE MIGHT LAST TOMORROW OR THE NEXT DAY.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I disagree, as long as the wind doesn't get to blowing too hard. With lows in the teens at night we should have ice for a while in the marina at Boyd. I was at the inlet pipe yesterday and there was about 4" in that area. I am careful not to get too close to the pipe because it can get thin real fast there. We caught four nice Bows, but no Bluegill or Perch. Bows were really hitting hard--it was fun.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I hit boyd on the way home sunday night to check it out and was happy to find safe ice. I had no more mealies left so I used some of the pink powerbait in my box. Suprisingly enough I caught a trout. To dark to identify so I'm calling it a golden trout! ;D

Went again yesterday. Ice was 3-4 inches give or take and caught the skunk-o!

·
Registered
267 Posts
today (tuesday), the ice is all but gone on mcCall. i thought this was going to last a bit. i drove by st vrain state park (barbour ponds) and it looked about like McCall, ice thin and fading fast.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts