Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We need to get the fly section bumpin' again. What's everyone up to? Planning on trying to get some eyes on the fly tonight. I'll be sure to let everyone know how it goes. Anyone do anything cool lately in the fly world?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Been hitting some new water before the run off gets going and have been doing well. Not crazy numbers but some nice fish with pretty colors. Tried my hand with some streamers in the DEEP stuff trying to get the pigs sitting on the bottom to notice but wasn't able to get down to 'em. I have since bought a sinking tip leader. I really want to get into fishing streamers more this year, I love tying them and fishing them for bass is a blast- just need to learn how to apply it to moving water successfully. Tied up some dirty hippies and they look great in the water, it's a pretty cool fly if anyone hasn't seen it yet.

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Just the local small creeks and small trouts here Whomp.

Who wants to see a 10 inch brown trout compared to AO and Neal's 9 lb eyes??

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Been hitting some new water before the run off gets going and have been doing well. Not crazy numbers but some nice fish with pretty colors. Tried my hand with some streamers in the DEEP stuff trying to get the pigs sitting on the bottom to notice but wasn't able to get down to 'em. I have since bought a sinking tip leader. I really want to get into fishing streamers more this year, I love tying them and fishing them for bass is a blast- just need to learn how to apply it to moving water successfully. Tied up some dirty hippies and they look great in the water, it's a pretty cool fly if anyone hasn't seen it yet.
Cool, man. Streamers are definitely fun to fish but can certainly be a challenge. I've got a couple fun spots here near foco. Let's hit the water some time. Do you go to csu?

·
Registered
301 Posts
I'm going to try a sinking line with streamers this year - I had real good luck with mini buggers last year, so going for the big boys. Just hate throwing that sinking line and you can't mend it - gotta change my whole approach. Is it better to throw the whole thing downstream, or let it drift down then strip it back? Or is it true what I've heard about WBs? There's no wrong way to fish them?

·
Registered
3,945 Posts

·
Registered
3,945 Posts

Post it up! Seriously, I miss the days when the fly guys put up "reports." Some of those were the among best posts around here.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
:D:D:D This thread turned out pretty good already! :thumb:

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Post it up! Seriously, I miss the days when the fly guys put up "reports." Some of those were the among best posts around here.
Not sure why reports is in quotes. Fly guys are plenty capable of good reports. Ans there are still some people out there like myself posting fly reports. Although mine have been sort of mixed lately. The last month or so I've found myself carrying a baitcaster, a spin setup and a fly rod everywhere I go.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I ended up landing two out if the five eyes I hooked. Didn't get any on the fly but it's only a matter of time. I probably woulda caught more but I was busy chucking big sbs to see if I could find a taker. Unfortunately I don't have any pics because my phone died. Every time I would turn my headlamp on for a lure change or whatever I would see about five pairs of eyes dart off into the darkness. I'm planning on heading back tomorrow after my geology field trip so hopefully I can get some good pics then and maybe my first fly eye, too.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts