Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
6,546 Posts
I fish 11-Mile and Spinney alot. I have found that the bigger Pike disappear into the depths in July and August. Then they start showing up along rocky points, islands and the dam in October. Late May and Early June is the best Summer fishing!

· Registered
6,546 Posts
There is no bigger Pike fan than myself!!!!! But I agreed with and participated in the killing of small Pike at Spinney. They had decimated the trout fishery and eaten everything else in site. I caught a 24" Pike that weighed about a pound. It was a swimming skeleton. At one point there was 10,000 Pike in that 2500 acre lake :eek:

Switching to the 15" stockers was a great idea and is working! It was the small to medium sized Pike that were eating all the fingerlings. The DOW effectively starved them out with that strategy. I caught a half dozen trout in the 5-7 lb range last fall and lost a couple of huge fish. There are still lots of big Pike in there!!!!!

As a matter of fact, I keep hearing about people catching small Pike this year? Just goes to show you can't fish out a Pike population even when you try! What is this new year class of Pike going to eat there? Insects?

Pike in the 20-27 inch range are excellent eating! If you catch bigger Pike you can let them go. I for one would had to of seen the 50" story to believe it?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.