Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Premium Member
10,699 Posts
Okay guys, lets get back to the question he had. Instead of the direction we are headed to bad mouthing the CDOW or TU. Fishing hear say is just that you probably heard that from some guy who hates TU who heard it from some guy who hates TU or what not. In reality it probably was a skinney 12 inch pike some beginner harware fisherman fishing for trout accidentally caught and was scared to get his lure out of that mouth of teeth and so he was stepping on the pike pulling his lure out, when some guy walked by and then told his buddy drinking later back at the bar, which eventually turned into the story that you were told.
Have you ever did that experiment in school? Lined up in a big line whispered a sentence to the first one and had them pass it on, it never ends up the same sentence at the last person.
So back to the question at hand.... "Where are the pike" Well thanks to a phat new fishing magazine I happened to get in my mailbox the other day... oh what was it called again oh yeah ColoradoFisherman The Magazine which had a great pike article in it. It listed Rocky Mountain Aresenal, Navajo Reservior, Spinney Mountain Reservoir, and Williams Fork Reservoir as some good places to catch nice pike. I would add 11-mile into that mix... You should pick up the magazine for some more information and some good tips. (was that a plug?)

· Premium Member
10,699 Posts
TroutHunter said:
I was at Spinney about 3 years back and never had caught athing until then,,,,I happend to catch about a skinny 20 inch "hammer handle" Pike...Actually that was my first pike....After a great fight I was releasing it when a guy started screaming....THROW IT ONTHE BANK!!THROW IT ONTHE BANK!!THROW IT ONTHE BANK KILL THAT FISH!!
The fish was gone by then when I confronted him about why he was saying to kill the fish...He stated that before the Pike were introduced Spinney was a world class gold medal Trout water....after the pike had decimated the trout population and that the stocking the DOW was doing was just feeding the pike, and now because of this the DOW was asking fisherman to harvest (kill to that other guy) all PIKE.... Well we all know that this rule of no bag limit for pike is still in effect and now it is state wide....However I can understand the point of some die hard Trout fisherman just as your passion is for the Pike...Now that this rule has been in effect people are stating Spinney is on its way back and in a couple of years fisherman will be seeing those days again of old were a 10-12 pound rainbow is not just a dream but a Spinney reality....I think all fish should be helped and managed and allowed to live where they are native or allowed to live and grow in a lake not native but managed..I think Spinney is a trout lake....not a Pike lake however I am in favor of making a Pike lake that is manage to get Pike to be trophies and not be just a KILL ALL PIKE state...

TH
The sad thing is this is pretty much true, the reason your pike was so skinny is it was starving to death because it was to little to eat a stocker trout, with the large amount of pike in that lake the CDOW said they were just feeding the pike real expensive fish food.
Fortunately not all the lakes in Colorado are Unlimited pike: Barr lake - Only 1 northern pike greater than 34 inches can be taken per day.
Cheeseman Reservoir- Only 1 northern pike greater than 34 inches can be taken per day.
Crawford Reservoir - Only 1 northern pike greater than 34 inches can be taken per day.
RIO BLANCO LAKE - Only 1 northern pike greater than 34 inches can be taken per day.
Williams Fork Reservoir - All northern pike 26-34 inches must be returned to the water immediately.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.