Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Banned
489 Posts
It's true that pike are under attack in this state. If we want to preserve this wonderful gamefish, we have to crush the efforts of the CDOW and TU. Its mostly the CDOW but TU has a hand in it as well. Sorry but it is true.
Stagecoach has been on fire this year. Most everyone is catching at least a few pike per trip. Taylor Reservoir was slow but I hooked four in a day and a half of fishing, including one well over 30". Rio Blanco lake always produces a few pike, but most are 20 - 25".
The Yampa River is doing very well still. In two trips I have landed 9 pike, including 3 over 30". It is nothing like it used to be, and anglers must release all pike caught.
Elevenmile used to be amazing for pike. Elevenmile and Spinney had faster growth rates for pike than anywhere else in North America.
The key to the future of pike fishing is simple. Catch and Release, and stopping the CDOW's anti pike campaign. If we do not take care of both, pike fishing in this state will disappear.

· Banned
489 Posts
Methiolate Man said:
I agree with ICE all the way.  Release those pike, so you can catch them again when they are bigger.  PIKE HATERS MUST BE SHOT. :p
In fact I recently heard that some TU fly fishing guy was up fishing at Spinney and landed a nearly 50" pike on his fly rod. What did he do? He beat the thing to death with an oar and stomped it into the shoreline with his felt boots.
Tell you what, if I ever saw that happen, I would have thrown the guy into the lake, popped his float tube, and broke his $300 rod.

· Banned
489 Posts
Methiolate Man said:
That is so disappointing to hear. I was there Sunday and caught 3 pike only, they were under 15 inches.  If I would have seen a man stomping a 50 inch pike to death, I don't know what I would do.  Obviously, I would like to stomp him, but what can you do.  I woudn't even stomp a carp, well maybe the oar thing, but definitely no stomping. 
The only fish worthy of euthanization are the overpopulated natives in the mainstem Colorado. But thats illegal so you can't do it.
This man was probably either a TU guy or a CDOW agent.

· Banned
489 Posts
I'm sorry but I have been to TU meetings and have heard in most every meeting this anti pike diatribe. To say they aren't against pike and other things, such as bait fishing, is naiive.
And Spinney is the ONLY place in the state that pike have hurt fishing. However, they were NOT the main reason the trout fishing went south. They were a factor, but the biggest factor was LACK OF TROUT AVAILABLE FOR STOCKING. Nowadays, more trout are available for stocking again. Pike were a convienient scapegoat for all the problems.

And epic, not all lakes being no bag limit for pike? In all those lakes you mentioned, there IS no bag limit for pike under 34". That is hardly right.
As for what is happening at 11 - mile, the trout fishing used to be better 15 years ago. And guess what, THERE WERE MORE PIKE IN THE LAKE THEN.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.