Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I hope my post finds everyone safe and healthy.

I recently moved to Erie from NY. I was a very active salt water fishermen all my life in NY.

I am looking for advise for fishing around the Erie area. I have all the gear to fly and spin fish, but do not know where to start. If we were not in the middle of Covid I would be seeking advise from local fly shops but....

I am not looking for info on your personal "fishing holes", I enjoy the journey and adventure of finding my own. I am just looking for answers to a number of questions I have about Colorado fishing and regulations and some pointers on where I can go to do some fly and spin fishing.

If you are willing to help please reply to this posting or feel free to e-mail me directly - [email protected].

Thanks and stay safe and healthy,
Harry

·
Registered
215 Posts
I'm not sure what kind of tackle you have but if you have light to medium light spinning gear that would be ideal for trout. 4-6 lbs test line is adequate for most trout fishing. A 5-6 weight fly rod will do for most of the area streams and lakes. St. Vrain Park is near by for a variety of fish and the Big Thompson River can be good fishing with out going too far.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure what kind of tackle you have but if you have light to medium light spinning gear that would be ideal for trout. 4-6 lbs test line is adequate for most trout fishing. A 5-6 weight fly rod will do for most of the area streams and lakes. St. Vrain Park is near by for a variety of fish and the Big Thompson River can be good fishing with out going too far.
Thank you Leg.

I appreciate your input. I have a 6 weight fly rod and light spinning gear so I should be ok.

In NY state there are restrictions on the types of waders that can be used to try to prevent the spread of invasive plants and such. Does Colorado have restrictions of wader types?

Thank you
Harry

·
Registered
215 Posts
If your looking for bigger trout drive a little extra to North Park or South Park.. N Delaney--- Antero--- Spinney are great with good dry fly action from mid June thru Sept. Damsels,callibaetis and caddis on top in the shallows.. 2-3X tippet required over the weedbeds. Cheers

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If your looking for bigger trout drive a little extra to North Park or South Park.. N Delaney--- Antero--- Spinney are great with good dry fly action from mid June thru Sept. Damsels,callibaetis and caddis on top in the shallows.. 2-3X tippet required over the weedbeds. Cheers
Thank you Vinny.

I will be checking out those locations and I am sure to be making trips to each as time premits.

I appreciate your input.

Harry

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Colorado tried wading boot sole restrictions (no felt) but not anymore. Not sure if it was enforced? I never heard of wader restrictions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Colorado tried wading boot sole restrictions (no felt) but not anymore. Not sure if it was enforced? I never heard of wader restrictions.
Thank you Pete, I appreciate your input.

Now I can go ahead and purchase a new pair as my existing pair are old, patched up and leaky.

Harry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts