Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello forum members,
Question; where can i snag some kokanee's?

I'd like to walk to Cheesman res. inlet is it open for fishing?

Thanks, Mikinaak 8)

L

·
0 Posts
There are good snagging opportunities at Green Mountain & Eleven Mile. Any lake with Kokanee will have runs but some lakes have stricter regs than others as far as dates and locations open for snagging. You want to check out the regs on each lake as the season dates are different for all the various bodies of water. The DOW typically will change opening dates for snagging based on their net counts, so watch the DOW website for updates and changes.

Snagging can be like watching paint dry but when it's good it can be really really good. I typically check with lots of friends who live and fish up in the high country to find when the fish start running and snagging is good before I go.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Cheesman is closed until next spring at the earliest. There aren't any salmon in there anyway because it hasn't been stocked since the Hayman burn.

Williams Fork is also another good place if you are willing to put in the legwork.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
buglebass said:
Cheesman is closed until next spring at the earliest.  There aren't any salmon in there anyway because it hasn't been stocked since the Hayman burn.

Williams Fork is also another good place if you are willing to put in the legwork.
Thnaks,
There must be something in Cheeseman, the DOW is seeking volunteers the week of Oct. 16 to go in with them and help shocking/netting spawning kokanee's.
I wish Cheeseman was open for snagging, it's the perfect place and so beautiful.

Williams Fork is to far to go... Any other spots?
Has anyone heard of them running yet?
Thanks guys, Mikinaak 8)

·
Registered
344 Posts
They have begun turning red and developing hook jaws at 11 mile. I was there last week and caught a couple. I'm not sure if they have fully began going up the river system yet!

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
gross is a pretty good lake , i caught some red kokanee last year on a slip bobber and hot pink tube , granby starts sept 1st , but i have been checking when i go up and they havent started yet , green mountain i heard has started but the run is not that great , i also checked the fork , no kokanee in the river but i did see dead koke heads, taylor is another good lake , but you have to have four wheel drive for the time that the kokanee run there , the kokanee i have been catching in the pump canal have started to change colors

·
Registered
248 Posts
Found this on 11 mile marina web site if anyones intersted

SECOND ANNUAL SNAGATHON: WE WILL OPEN AT 12:01AM SUNDAY OCTOBER 1, 2006. FREE SNAGGING HOOK TO FIRST 100 PEOPLE IN THE DOOR. FREE COFFEE AND DONUTS. $50.00 TO THE BIGGEST SALMON WEIGHED IN BEWTEEN MIDNIGHT AND NOON. NO ENTRY FEE ONLY ONE FISH WEIGHED PER PERSON.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
IV'E GOTS TO GET ME SOME KOKANEE! WHERE ARE THEY? I'm starting to get the shakes. This time last year, I was into plenty. Seems like every weekend the weather does not cooperate, and when I have made it, the big zip. I know they have to be running somewhere, and yes, I have been to Granby and Sh. Mtn. Would like to hear of anything at W. Fork, or maybe Gross? I fish from shore. Got to end my kokanee virginity for the year. Will try tomorrow, cause I got the fever for the salmon, and the only prescription, is "FISH ON!".

·
Registered
745 Posts
I go to 11Mile on oct 1 ever year, last 2 years I have came up very short I think they ran early last yr. I wonder if it will be worth it this yr.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts