Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first post! Found this site this morning 4 hours ago and have been on since!

Question All: Where can I take my kids to experience small streams and beaver ponds for brookies?

When I was a kid, my Dad took me somewhere around Red Feathers and we hiked from pond to pond fishing deeper holes in a small stream.... we had a BLAST! Does anyone know where this is or can you suggest other spots?

THANKS!

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
I cant really help you with your question but would like to welcome you to the site. With all the know how around here it wont be long for your question to be answered.

Enjoy!

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
well if your just wanting to catch a bunch of brookies and it doesnt have to be from beaver ponds then hermit lake outside of westcliffe is the place to go. it is an hour or so up a rough dirt road and then a 1/4 mile level hike to the lake but when the ice gets gone youll catch more brookies then you can handle i use mostly spinners but have done well with flies like woolly buggers and pistoe petes behind a buble heck they are so agressive they were trying to eat the buble mostly 10-12 inchers purfect for the pan when you get home

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Roadkill, you are the man! If this is even 1/2 true, we'll have a new place to go and many new memories too. Come on ice off.....THANKS!

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
check out my first run in last year, as you can see it was a little early even though in was the middle of june.

http://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/index.php?topic=1783.0

you can catch em all day long but i find the late afternoon to be the best atleast for me. good luck if you need better directions let me know ill probably start heading up there after work in june to see if the road is open and the ice is gone

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, great pics and story! I've showed the kids..... they are excited. The hard part is waiting nearly 2.5 months.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Roadkill,

How is the road up to Hermit? I have an all wheel drive Acura MDX (wife wouldn't let me get a Jeep) and it's actually really good on rough trails with some serious potholes. I've gone places where no urban SUV should go, so I think I would be okay unless it's a real boulder climing trail. I've read your thread on Hermit many times and I've been daydreaming about getting up there.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
the road up is bouncy lots of rocks but no real difficult climbs there are a few sections that you have to pick your way thru high clearance and low gears are needed more than the four wheel drive with a lower clearance urban SUV you'll need to be more carfull but you might still drag some. there is 1 kinda tough spot but it changes each spring last year it was a bugger but who knows this year. when i start scouting up there ill post some picks of the tougher spots

we ought to have a weekend fish fry up there for the brookie fans the first CFF brookies for breakfast

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, also interested in seeing pics of the road. The fish fry is a great idea. I was looking into camping, looks as if there is a camp site just East of Hermit but online says it's closed for 2006. There is another private RV site nearby though, just does'nt have the same "feel".

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
heck just camp at the lake or if you dont want to cary your overnight gear into the lake there are plenty of pullouts on the road up to the lake. besides you dont want to drive that road more than you have to, kinda rough.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts