Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure this is the right forum category?-----I am Retired, from the South, and plan to buy a "fishing vacation condo"---I would appreciate your comments and recommendations on the best fishing reservoirs and lakes in the state.

I have vacationed all through Colorado over the years, but didn't do enough fishing and not familiar with various fishing areas.  I think I would enjoy lake/reservoir motor boat fishing best, but would love to learn how to trout fish the rivers. This condo also needs to be close to skiing areas for grandkids. Pricing is not a big issue, however, we all have our limits. I have been studying the internet and looking at Summit County and also Durango area reservoirs and lakes. If I could find a really nice waterfront condo on one of the better fishing reservoirs or lakes, with boat dock, close to an airport as possible, that would probably be the untimate. If you had your choice of areas, where would you say the best fishing is in the state. thanks, Fishnet

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Summit County is great. However, if you warm water fish (Bass), I don't think you'll find any close. If it's Trout you're after, have you considered Steamboat?  You'd have your choice of Steamboat (right in town) or Stagecoach reservoirs, and the best snow conditions for skiing in the state. Lake John, Red Feathers, and the Walden area are all close and great for fishing, plus alot of others I don't know about. If I'm not mistaken (someone correct me if I'm wrong), I think there is an airport? ???  Depending on what is important to you (closeness, fish species, the skiing, or waterfront). Skiing & fishing (and hockey) are my favorite things to do. I am happy where I live, but if I was to move anywhere (and I know some of you will disagree  :)) I would pick Boulder. There is all kinds of fishing there, and it's right below Eldora (ski area). Also nothing is far from there. All the nice Denver reservoirs, Mt. towns like Nederland and Estes Park, most of the front range towns, and the other ski araes aren't that bad of a drive.

Good luck w/ your decsion. It's a big one so consider everything before making it. Wherever you pick in Colorado though is going to be nice. You really can't go wrong. 

P.S. If Summit county is your top choice, Dillon reservoir is big and beautiful !

Oh, and the best fishing is wherever you're at at the moment, and there's water at the end of your line ;)

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I am going to have to go with the yampa valley on this one. There is so much water to fish within steamboat and so much variety of species to target within 45 minutes of town. It's also my favorite town. Though its a ski resort, it has managed to keep some of its western cattle culture. If I was in your shoes, that would be the only place I would want to go.

M

·
0 Posts
gunnison= close river fishing for huge gold medal trout, blue mesa for the chance of a trophy laker, plent of perch, other trout, and kokes, and countless fisheries nearby

·
Registered
578 Posts
Larimer County! We have lots of nice places to fish including the Big Thompson River, the Poudre River and all the Red Feather area lakes. And Loveland has the skiing, not the best skiing in Colorado, but it is there.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Larimer County has a good diversity of fish. You may have to work hard to get to some of them, and they are not always trophies when you do, but there is a huge diversity of good fishing to be had here.

·
Registered
217 Posts
scorpion_bsk said:
Larimer County! We have lots of nice places to fish including the Big Thompson River, the Poudre River and all the Red Feather area lakes. And Loveland has the skiing, not the best skiing in Colorado, but it is there.
Where exactly is that?

·
Registered
935 Posts
Might have meant Eldora - that's the closest ski area to Southern Larimer Co. Loveland Pass is further away.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts