Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be my first year catfishing in CO and I am looking for a good place to catch 5lb plus cats from my belly boat. I occassionally keep a couple 3lb cats but mostly just catch and release. I have a secret bait that worked great on cats 5lbs to 15lbs in Nebraska and I would be happy to share it with anyone who can help me find some big cats.
Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
You want to get some cats, give me a PM and we'll hit some lakes.  I've gotten a few 5 pounders from Brush Hollow.  And that place has only been refilled in the past 4 years....largest from there was a 9 pounder and they stocked heavily last fall.  I'm targetting the 6+ pounders this year with live shad....

Also, I fished almost exclusivly with livers last year, found all these new tricks from the guys who catch the bigguns over at http://www.katmasters.com/

·
Registered
16,571 Posts
I think John Martin is pretty good. Lots of channels.

M

·
0 Posts
Best I've done personally in Colorado is out at Prewitt Reservoir about 3 or 4 years ago.

Best size I've heard of have all come out of Chatfield but that isn't saying much. Some flatheads were stocked in Pueblo a few years ago but haven't heard of anyone catching any of big size out of there (big size for a flathead).

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
What part of the state do you live in and how far are you willing to travel?

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
well here is a pic of a small colorado kat from this past year

29"  blue       not to sure on the weight didnt weigh it

·
Registered
71 Posts
For Colorado I would say Boyd, Chatfield, or John Martin. I have fished all three and caught plenty of big fish out of them. Last year my top catfish out of a Colorado lake was 19lbs out of Chatfield. Boyd, I caught plenty of 10lbers
and John Martin is so far away I have only been there twice but had good luck both times. I would say there is probably a few state records in John Martin. I hit alot of catfish tournaments in Nebraska and spend more time fishing there. If you ever want to go give me a shout.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Boulder Res during post walleye spawn season. Cutbait works best. Average 3 to 6 lbers..

·
Registered
410 Posts
I like the cut bait option myself but what do the rest of you who haven't mentioned it like to use?

O0

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
i use mostly cut gills or whole ones

but every now and then the cats want stink bait and well i use it

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
I had some decent success at Blue lake a couple years ago. Don't fish for cats much. You can also catch crappie there. Pueblo might be a good choice too, on the west end. I know there are fatties in there.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
WOW, thanks for all of the info. We should all get together this summer and hit a few of these lakes. I live in Aurora but will travel anywhere within a couple hours.
In the spring just after ice-out we fish using shad guts fished on the wind blown shorelines. Many people fish with shad sides but I have not had much luck on them. I find it surprising but I have caught alot of 2-3 lb wipers on shad guts fished on the bottom of lakes and reservoirs.
In the summer I have a special bait fished in a special way. The reason I am reluctant to give out that info is because I am thinking about packaging it and selling it. My only hints are that it is not dough bait, blood bait, or stink bait and it hard to come by. The nice thing is that I don't catch many fish less than 3 lbs with the average being about 5 lbs.
Jeff

·
Registered
410 Posts
I'd love to get together for some Catfishing. It "seems" like most people in colorado only target the glamor fish, which don't get me worng are popular for a reason and I equally love them. Its just hard to find people who go after cats. Also, I'll buy some of your secret bait to try. I'll try anything once especially if its proven like yours.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If I do end up selling it I will give a free sample to anyone who wants it. The problems I am running into are figuring out what form to put it in, getting appropriate packaging, and making it easy for anyone to use.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
i have tryed alot of different kinds of catfish bait
and i fish for kats year round most of the time
well not this past year but most years im fishing for kats
year round

charleys blood bait is the one i keep buying because it seems to work the best

but most of the time i use gills it out fishes the store stuff

·
Registered
410 Posts
Fishingkats,
Do you catch a load of gills then cut them or can you buy them somewhere? I know a neighborhood pond that is over flowing with blue gills near Southglenn Mall.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
most bodys of water out east have gills
but the bait stores out this way do sell whole gills and shad

most of the time i take my kids out and we catch gills and i bring
them home and cut half of them the rest i leave whole and put them in bags and toss them in the freezer

i use gills from 2" - 8" for bait

1 - 20 of 39 Posts