Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am new to fishing for catfish myself, but my uncle has done pretty well at a lake within an hour of the metro area.

He uses worms, he has tried chicken livers and lot's of other smelly stuff ;D but has found worms work better for him.

I guess I believe him cause he has caught two large cats one over fifteen pounds and one just under fifteen over the past year.

S

·
0 Posts
A list of some of our CO. waters with "cats".....not in any order for size or success. Alphabetical..... ::)

Aurora Reservoir
Barr Lake
Bonny Lake
Boyd Lake
Chatfield Reservoir
Cherry Creek Reservoir
Douglas Reservoir
Harvey Gap Reservoir
Horseshoe Reservoir
Jackson Lake
John Martin Reservoir
Lon Hagler Reservoir
Lonetree Reservoir
North Sterling Reservoir
Prewitt Reservoir
Pueblo Reservoir
Trinidad Lake
Union Reservoir
Watson Lake

I don't target catfish but have caught some 3-5 pounders at Cherry Creek fishing for "eyes", so the creek would be my choice because I frequent it and have witnessed several large "cats" around twenty pounds caught by others over the years. I did catch a thirty inch cat trolling with a crawler harness a few years ago. Silver blade, orange beads and a fat crawler.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
when fishing for big cats
do you guys fish from shore or a boat
how many of you guys fish for cats from a boat??

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
I have not targeted cats yet but I have done some research. I read an article that talked about drifting really sllllllooooooowwwwwww for them on 30 foot flats adjacent to deep river channels with cut bait. I have even gone as far as highlighting some good looking spots on a depth map of Pueblo to try it. I just never have gotten out there yet. I am sure it would take me a few weeks to start getting good at catching them that way but I bet it would pay big dividends.

·
Registered
155 Posts
My biggest ever was a 36lb flathead. and I cought him on a half of a bluegill, particularly the head hooked with a circle hook through the crown. And sometimes I use live baby carp about 6-8 inchers with the tail clipped off

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
I think we need to head down south to john martin and have an un-official meet-n-greet catfishing derby.....

Would march 24th work for anyone?

T

·
0 Posts
Koldkut said:
I think we need to head down south to john martin and have an un-official meet-n-greet catfishing derby.....

Would march 24th work for anyone?
Best bites for channel catfish is after spring.

M

·
0 Posts
waterwolves said:
I have not targeted cats yet but I have done some research. I read an article that talked about drifting really sllllllooooooowwwwwww for them on 30 foot flats adjacent to deep river channels with cut bait. I have even gone as far as highlighting some good looking spots on a depth map of Pueblo to try it. I just never have gotten out there yet. I am sure it would take me a few weeks to start getting good at catching them that way but I bet it would pay big dividends.
This is the ticket on Lake Mac. I usually drift the flats with a crawler harness. Works very well for both catfish and walleye.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
just a reminder john martin was a puddle last year

i didnt do to bad in the spillway but nothing over 10#last year

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
20lber at Chat on chicken liver with a couple dabs of garlic juice Biggest cat I've ever caught in Colorado.

Colorado lakes/resevoirs:

Sterling, Union, Boyd, Chatfield, C.C., and some secret ponds but my favorite?? Big Mac!!!

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Estimated 15 lb. at P-lo trolling a chart. Fat-Rap on the bottom with lead core in 30 fow... thought she was a monster eye... since thats what we were targeting. GREAT eating cats in P-lo...  ;)

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
i have an ex-uncle inlaw that use to fish and still does alot of fishing there and he is always catching some nice cats

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been fishing Pueblo for years, I've caught flatheads over six to ten pounds "at night" using live blue gill, which is legal at Pueblo as ling as you catch them out of the lake, (which isn't hard). One once bullet sinker on a 15 lb line with a bead below the weight and before the swivel. About two to three foot leader with a size 6 circle hook. Hook the bluegill right behind the top dorsel fin and let him swim away from the weight. Predetors take their prey head first, so the bullet weight lets your prey swim freely but wounded, perfect target for a prowler. Good luck catfishers, we've been very successful with this rig at many lakes.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Thanks for the info, jpredleg. Just a heads up; the last reply to this thread was over 13 years ago. I'm sure, though, that the info you gave is still pertinent for catfishing today! Thanks again for the info, and welcome to the forum!

21 - 39 of 39 Posts