Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read all these posts about different waters but don't know where they all are. anyone have ideas where I can find out??

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,144 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Try a book called " Fishing close to home " You can find them at Wal Mart , Garts and so on. They give names,directions,species and regs for alot of water along the front range. hope that helped.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Go to your local DOW office. They have maps, and are very helpfull. I know there is one in Fort Collins on Prospect. They sell a book of local places on their web site also.

·
Registered
24,552 Posts
Buy two books and it is all you will ever need...
If you can find an early version of Tim Kelley's Fishing Guide which also does Wyoming...(see below)...if you cannot find it, it has been replaced by Kip Carey's Official Colorado Fishing Guide...it is good too but not as many places...also buy the DeLORME COLORADO Atlas & Gazetteer Topographic Maps · Back Roads · Guide to Outdoor Recreation ( http://www.4x4books.com/agco.htm )...you can read about the lakes and rivers in the one and then find them in the Atlas...as I said before it is all you will need to find any stream or lake in this state...mine are tattered...they live behind the seat in my truck...

Angling classic makes a return
By Ed Dentry
Scripps Howard News

While Colorado's veteran anglers mourned and patched the tattered remains of their copies of "Tim Kelley's Fishing Guide," the book's chief fan has been busy sprucing up and resurrecting the bible that launched a thousand trips.

In 1999, Kip Carey of Littleton, Colo., bought the rights to "Tim Kelley's Fishing Guide" from Donald Hart, its third owner. The exhaustive directory of waters had been a hit since Kelley delivered its first cast in 1954. Through 46 years and 18 editions, it proved a Colorado institution.

After months of revising to reflect the many changes in fish stocking, regulations and access, Carey unveiled the 19th edition (Kip Carey Publications; $21.95; 877-766-5612) in January. The guidebook, renamed "Kip Carey's Official Colorado Fishing Guide," is now in about 30 fly shops and bookstores.

Kelley's vision was to chronicle all the fishing waters in Colorado. He also added Wyoming in the early editions. Kelley was 75 and had produced nine editions when he died in 1982 at Scottsdale, Ariz.

Carey's version incorporates several significant changes, while retaining the friendly feel of the old guides. He sharpened up the maps, eliminated hunting, which was added in past editions, and saved Wyoming for his next project.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts