Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Ya I think you might be right about that Hook. I tried them last week at Union. No bites. Could of had something to do with the weather as well though. Cloudy and raining. Also tried musells. Should have brought some shrimp as well though.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
They have a strong scent to them. Go catch some and let them die in your car u will love the smell. I have tried numerous times buying them and i dont get the same results. Trust me i hate going to catch them, sometimes i put in more effort catching the bait than i do fishing. You might get a couple bites, with storebought ones but its just not the same. I use to tell my pops all the time he didnt believe me at first, but now he wont buy any. If i drove 3 hours to neenoshe i would not go with store bought but thats me.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Catch your own man...it's expensive to buy them and it's true, store bought ones aren't the same although it's more than likely that the store brought them in from the wild. Strange. All it will cost you is a dollar (chicken liver or gizzard and some line) and you could walk away from a local pond with enough bait for nights upon nights!

·
Registered
117 Posts
yeah and when your on the road stick them in a small cooler with ice on the bottom but make sure you stick the ice in a few bags and them pour the crawdads on top so they dont get crushed.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
I just get a small stack of newspaper, wet it pretty good and place both the crawdads and newspaper in a plastic bag--they're good for a few days. i only catch enough for the trip and any leftovers i usually throw into the lake i'm fishing at.

·
Registered
110 Posts
theres a seafood market on federal and mississippi in the vietnamese plaza, thats where i buy my crawfish, 2.99 a pound... and they are live..

·
Registered
699 Posts
here is another way to catch them get some bacon tie it to some string and let it sit if there are mudbugs in the lake you are fishing at they will go after the bacon like a pack of wild dogs and just haul them in

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
I've had luck with minnow traps and cap'n crunch, you read correctly the suggary breakfast cereal, nice mixed bag if you can find a sweet feeder stream. I just use an aerator to keep them alive. I cant say for certain it works here in CO, but on the east coast MD in particular they love it!

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
after i catch them, i keep them in the frige .... and if i must keep them over numerous days i fill the container with water for a little then poor it all out.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
"theres a seafood market on federal and mississippi in the vietnamese plaza, thats where i buy my crawfish, 2.99 a pound... and they are live.."

i dont know ... those little red crawdads never worked for me.

·
Registered
288 Posts
A piece of beef liver works pretty well in a minnow trap for crawdads too. Those Asian markets on Federal usually have a good supply of live crawfish as said before. You can get just about any other type of shellfish or other animals there too. Don't keep crawdads in your minnow bucket, though, as they will kill and eat any minnows that they can.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Last summer I had a great time catching crawdads with my daughter at the gravel ponds at chatfield. We were just using a worm on a hook and placing it in front of them and then pulling them out when they grabed on.. I went there last night and looked around but didn't see any. It still may too early for them yet though..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts