Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Used to get a lot at city park around July. Any idea where to catch them at this time of the season?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Dan and 1eyeReD. I did noticed that previous post Dan refered a while ago, but in that discussion the info about the Denver metro area were quite vague. What I am really interested is where to catch them in Denver or Aurora. The spot with street name is more than welcome, if you did caught them recently.

Thanks again for all the folks who viewed and replied.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Irrigation ditches are good, irrigation ponds better, pretty much any lake in the area. We caught a cooler full at Palmer Lake and cooked them up for diiner. I made traps out of rabbit wire. Just bent the wire into a large rectangle, made ramps for the ends so they would have to crawl up and drop in, and baited with raw chicken wings. Works great. I'm going to catch a mess this weekend up in Ft Lupton. Can't wait!!

M

·
0 Posts
ummm....give it a week and the cahtfield ponds, hike around or swim out to the island in the pond and look under rocks, a few there today, give it a week and your bait bucket will be full

the street is wadsworth, but just look for the big blue spot and head towards it, it is a lake, hehehe

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
A word to the wise about eating crawdads. They are great eating if and only if you purge them. You can purge them by puting them (alive) in a well cleaned, aerated fish tank for 3-5 days. This gets the fishy taste out of them and they taste just like lobster.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
TroutFishingBear said:
A word to the wise about eating crawdads. They are great eating if and only if you purge them. You can purge them by puting them (alive) in a well cleaned, aerated fish tank for 3-5 days. This gets the fishy taste out of them and they taste just like lobster.
Oh man..... Never thought of that. Thanks, TFB!

·
Registered
30 Posts
chatfield is a great place I found between the marina and shore is the best place to get them if the water is low you can just walk around and pick them up by the bucket fulls

·
Registered
988 Posts
Another way to purge crayfish is use milk. Pour a little over the top of the water and let it sit for 1-2 days. It acts as a nutrition that filters the body from dirt. You'll see the shell color change slightly too.

You see, milks not only good for the bones but good for the crayfish too. ::) :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
We just do it the old Cajun way, soak them in salt water for about an hour then cook them. If you don't suck the heads, you really don't even have to purge them, the sand and dirt doesn't get into the meat, just into the head and guts. Don't cook the dead ones though, they taste bad. If you catch a bunch at the lake and clean them up at the campground, I guarantee you will have every kid in the campground freaking out about eating them!! Lots of fun!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I agree with jmorton, I only cook up the ones that are alive. I pull their tails off and throw them in boiling water, I have never had one that tasted bad or like mud. I lived on fish and crayfish for a week right out of highschool, I would cook up the crayfish over a camp fire in a popcan with lake water. Living like a king eating my poor mans shrimp. ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts