Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all this warm weather, I'm starting to think about Springtime and some good Crawfish boils. Anyone know of a good lake or pond near Brighton where I can catch a big mess of Crawfish? I have 6 traps and they worked really well at Palmer lake but that's too much of a drive just to go set traps overnight. Any ideas will be GREATLY appreciated!

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
This really wont help you, but for those in my area. All the local Colorado Springs lakes and Ft. Carson Lakes have a ton of crawdads. Quail Lake is your best bet for larger ones in Colorado Springs and Hayes is your best bet for larger ones on Ft. Carson.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Wow .. out looking for Crawdads/crawfish already..! Im not sure if you'll find a good number of them. If you live in the Broomfield Area you might want to check out that 'Pacific Ocean' Place. Im not sure if they're out of hibernation yet.!

Steve

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yeah Pacific Ocean can be a place to get them but they might be a little pricey. You can try Croke Reservoir but no bait allowed so youll have to net them and theres a really good creek to catch them near where i live on 150th and york.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pacific Ocean?  Never heard of it.  What is it and where is it?
I would definately be interested in finding out more about the creek at 150th and York. Completely forgot about Barr, have to try that out.
Thanks!

·
Registered
117 Posts
6 traps..You must really be looking for numbers? If you just want a few days worth, I'd recommend any apartment or park pond. Sometimes they're a little small, but usually work the same.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Are you using square traps or tubular or homemade?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ePiC said:
Are you using square traps or tubular or homemade?
Rectangular homemade traps made out of rabbit wire. 24 inches long, 10 inches square with a ramp on each side that goes to within an inch of the top, door cut into the side to get them out. Bait with the cheap packages of chicken wings from Wal-Mart. They work great and are cheap to build.
Yes, I'm looking for numbers, not for bait though, for dinner. I want to have several Crawfish boils this spring and summer and it costs too much to have them shipped in from Louisiana.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
When I was a kid we used to catch Crayfish out of local gulf course ponds.
Might be worth a try to ask.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
earplug said:
When I was a kid we used to catch Crayfish out of local gulf course ponds.
Might be worth a try to ask.
I wouldnt recommend this... the pesticides, fertalizer, and other crap golf courses use to treat their greens runs right into those ponds and is absorbed by everything in those ponds.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
yea i wouldnt eat anything out of those ponds most golf
corses dont want people making skin on grass contact
there are warning signs in most of the club houses
telling golfers not to put tees in there mouths that have come in contact with the ground

and all that water runs off and goes into those ponds

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
If you can get access to one of those irrigation supply ditches that meander through the countryside in the rural areas, they are just full of crawdads. My son puts out a trap in the evening and when he goes to it in the morning, it is so full of crawdads that no more can get in. Big ones.

Streams and irrigation ditches are better than lakes, because there is a current and the crawdads follow the scent of the bait upstream to the trap. Also, the water is generally colder and cleaner. Make sure the opening for the trap faces downstream, so the crawdads can get into it when they get to the trap.

For baiting the trap, just take one of those flat round cans of cat food and punch holes in it without opening the can, and drop it in there. The crawdads go crazy over it, and the cat food keeps forever on the shelf until you are ready to use it.

W. E.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good ideas! There are definately plenty of irrigation ditches around here. How about the Platte River? It's about a half mile from my house.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Based on the number of brown trout I catch ice fishing that have guts full of crayfish, I would think you can catch them in deeper water in any lake with rocky bottoms or shores with rip rap.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
You certainly can. I only advocate trapping them where there is a current, because it's very efficient. You can draw more to the bait in a shorter period of time. Lakes have currents, but too slow for my temperament when I want crawdads for bait.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts