Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
My family and I are heading down to horsetooth in the morning, we will be on our boat, so does anyone know where are the hot spots in horsetooth? and what are the favorite choice of lures should I use?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Midway to the North end, anywhere there is rock points with a gradually descent(not real steep), deepwater transition. Fish with crawler harnesses and botttom bouncers at 18-23 fow.

Was there the other day with moderate success, water was 63degrees. Real snaggy...bring lots of rigs.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Steelfish, any advice is appreciated, this will be my first time this year attempting to fish horsetooth, so tomorrow we will give it a shot... thanks again

·
Registered
24 Posts
In addition, look for mudlines and shade (morning and evening best for shade since there's not much cover there). If it's windy and kicking up a nice mudline we've found smallies in it. Water's now in the high 60's. We've not explored the east side much, have been in the coves most of the time. Fish are not necessarily that deep, we've found even walleye mid-day fly-casting in 5-10 feet of water where our streamer is maybe 3-5 feet deep.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I was once told that the only time you figure out how to fish HT is to not fish HT. I sort of beleive it. I consider myself a descent fisherman, but was skunked 5 times in a row up there. I have had one good day about 10 years ago for smallies though. I am going to give it a shot again this week, but only because of the relative closeness of it. I loose lots of gear and catch very few fish usually...

·
Registered
664 Posts
Troutdog said:
I was once told that the only time you figure out how to fish HT is to not fish HT.  I sort of beleive it. I consider myself a descent fisherman, but was skunked 5 times in a row up there.  I have had one good day about 10 years ago for smallies though.  I am going to give it a shot again this week, but only because of the relative closeness of it. I loose lots of gear and catch very few fish usually...
I disagree...I fish horsetooth quite regularly in the spring and fall (when all the yahoo traffic is gone) and have good success. The key is to break the reservior down in to much smaller 'micro-reserviors'. Treat each bay or area of the reservior as a small reservior in it's own right. Fish don't need to use the whole reservior, they stay in one area that has food, structure, cover, access to deep water, etc. If you can pinpoint smaller areas of the res that have these elements, you can be consistantly successful.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts