Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sunday I have 12 hours between 2 shifts, the wife is out of town so I can fish any where I have the time to get to and from between shifts.

I was thinking about giving Douglas a try but what els do I have for options up there?  Is Union doing any good right now?  How about Horsetooth?

Dan

T

·
0 Posts
Re: Wher to fish Sunday in the Loveland, Ft Collins area?

If you are planning to fish Union during the day, don't go. It's the worst time to fish Union right now.

·
Registered
85 Posts

try the big tompson ponds
do you have a float tube? bring it
thay are nice ponds I do not know about the fish
No one answers me when i asked about them

·
Registered
103 Posts

if u can get some crawfish hit boyd, the white bass are starting to surface...

·
Registered
1,947 Posts

Boyd might be good. I was there only for a lil bit last night, about and an hours worth caught 2 really small bass and 2 small white bass no keepers. I got one white bass on a crawfish tail the other 3 fish where caught with a kastmaster. The bugs started attacking so i left. I was fishing from 8-9pm.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, sounds like Boyd might be the option. Any advice on where and how to fish for what species. Unfortunately my time frame for being on the lake will be from about 1030 till 330 pm

Dan

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Johnny0 caught a ton of fish there i dont know where he fished at, but i had good luck in the past fishing by the marina. I used a kastmaster i got some hits i missed last night due to being on shore and reeling it in gettin stuck in little trees that are growing that werent there last year cause the water is higher. I caught a bass that would of made your walleye look like a monster lol. Too bad i didnt bring my camera with me. I wish i would of took my belly boat i wouldnt of snagged so much and i think i would of done alot better.

F

·
0 Posts
big thompson ponds is awesome ....there is channel cats in pond one and 3 (ive never caught them in 2 ) chicken livers is all you need . Fishfreak get some polarized glasses and head to the back pond ...youll see all kinds of bass bluegill and carp ....

·
Registered
103 Posts
i was there sat caught some nice white bass near the marina and at the west pump house. I was using a white paddle fry....good luck

T

·
0 Posts
Mister D said:
i was there sat caught some nice white bass near the marina and at the west pump house. I was using a white paddle fry....good luck
How many white bass?
When fishing at the marina- Are you fishing on the rocks near the main dock? Where is the west pump house?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Hey Dan..

Was it this Sunday that you are going out. Well IF IT RAINS .. Head on over to UNION. I promise you wont get skunked. You'll pull in 14 1/2 incher WIPERS . but it'll be one after another fight after fight. I think the Rains are suppose to come this weekend. But Thats where id go if I can on sunday. ( DURING THE RAIN THAT IS )

steve

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Dan --- I really like Dixon (below Horsetooth). Or Horsetooth (It's pretty big). If you are thinking Boyd though, I'd stick w/ that plan. I've never been skunked at Boyd. There is also Lon Hagler, Carter, and Lonetree to consider. Wherever you go Good Luck!  :)  Oh, and I don't know where you'll be, but Union is in Longmont. So if you only have so much time you might not want to make the drive?

Fishfreak --- I never saw your question about BTPs. Sorry. 1st, The carp there are HUGE some of the biggest I've seen! I've heard good things about night fishing for cats there, but the last couple of times I've talked to some of the guys. They said it's been slow. The Bluegill there are tiny. (4) I caught one out of (1), but it may have been a fluke. As it was the only one I've ever got out of that pond. Bass, every once in a great, great while I'll get a decent one. Most of the time thy are small, and few and far between. There are Bass in pond (1) and (4). I've also heard there are crappie. The (1) pond is full of giant shad. I like fishing there because it's close and not ussually crowded. However, early season the place is full of weirdos. If you drive in and don't see anyone fishing, but a bunch of single guys w/ their cars backed into the parking spots. I'd just leave.  :p

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dan said:
Sunday I have 12 hours between 2 shifts, the wife is out of town so I can fish any where I have the time to get to and from between shifts.

I was thinking about giving Douglas a try but what els do I have for options up there?  Is Union doing any good right now?  How about Horsetooth?

Dan
The Loveland area is great because it offers so many places to fish that are not that far apart. From Lake Loveland, to Boyd and Carter Lake. If you get bored at a place you can move on. Lonetree is another lake that is a good place to fish. Especially if you like wipers.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
In Loveland. If you're at Sportsman's. Head towards Greely on 34. The 1st street after you cross I-25 (frontage or frontier?). Turn right on. After a few miles, there's an underpass. Go through it. You'll be on a dirt road that will lead you right to the Ponds.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
If you're definitely heading out this way, I might be at Lon Hagler on Sunday morning doing a little archery practice. I'll definitely have my rod and tackle with me.

1eyeReD

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Dan, the boy and I are going out to Boyd in the morning. Will start on the south end, by the houses. Fish straight out from the bouy in front of the 4th house (far south end). There's also a camper in front of it. Hope to get out there about 7a.m. Let me know if you'll be around there.
John

1 - 18 of 18 Posts