Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband, father in law and I went out on the lake at lonetree to troll. The fishing was really bad and I know that the water level is probably responsible for that. It is down like 20 feet. We would like an opinion on where to go that is close to Greeley and Ft. Collins. We really need a new place to fish. We have been skunked way to many times. Not fun at all, except for the fact that we go to relax. Please Help Us.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Ft. Collins area:

Horsetooth, Prospect Ponds

Berthoud area:

Carter, Pinewood

You can try searching the forum for recent reports (I just made one for Carter) to see what has been working for people.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Boyd Lake:

http://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/index.php?topic=2689.msg23614#msg23614

Fishing has slowed quite a bit in the late summer, but still a good place to know about.

If you are in a boat, just park it 150 ft or so straight out from the inlet structure where your depth finder measures 25-30 ft of water and you should do well.

On the southeast side of the lake there are some channel-like underwater formations where if you drift over them you will see the depth finder drop rather sharply down and then go back up again. My son fishes these for walleyes. He picked up a 7 pounder there recently and his buddy got a 9 pounder. Get an underwater map of boyd at sportsmans warehouse and it should help with the locations.

W. E.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Pinewood, Carter, Lon Hagler, Simpson Ponds, Big Thompson Ponds. There's quite a few around where I live, no complaints so far :)

·
Registered
16,559 Posts
I think the problem is not WHERE,but HOW you fish. Quit that trolling stuff and start drifting or anchoring in likely spots and work some lures or plastics or even throw some bait. Your catch rate will certaintly increase! Just my humble opinion, of course!

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
SLAYERFISH said:
I think the problem is not WHERE,but HOW you fish. Quit that trolling stuff and start drifting or anchoring in likely spots and work some lures or plastics or even throw some bait. Your catch rate will certaintly increase! Just my humble opinion, of course!
Your humble opinion is in agreement with my authoritative one.

LOL

Sorry.... forgot to take my pills this morning.... :)

I do agree entirely on the how vs. where question.

·
Registered
247 Posts
i agree with casting. I have out fished trollers 10 to 1 many times. Plus its more fun actually feeling the fish hit your lure then to pick up a rod with the hook already set.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Bassgirl,

I'm not prejudice, I jig, troll, and cast about equally... use whatever technique is working. Use trolling (w/fish finder) to find a concentration of fish then go to other methods. Mark spots(GPS) or toss out a marker where you see fish. Union can be a difficult lake to catch fish in. Watch for surface activity and bird concentrations.

Read some of the other reports and give those places a try.

Terre

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
I'm guessing she could have gotten outvoted on how to use the boat. If that's the case Bassgirl, just tell 'em the old saying,

"If you continue doing what you have always done, you're going to get what you always got."

It applies to more than fishing. :)

·
Registered
247 Posts
i'd have to say thought that i am somewhat bias. Its hard to troll in my little canoe. I have a portable fish finder and attached the transducer to the trolling motor, but dont have any of the "standard" trolling gear. I just find the fish and, if possible, anchor a few feet away and start fishing. I'd say, like Talo, use what your most confident in. For me, its casting lures and bait.

C

·
0 Posts
Try Big Thompson, Jackson, Barr, Boyd, Lake Loveland, Carter, Horsetooth, Frank Easement, Simpson Ponds, Barbour ponds, and Golden Ponds. I have done really good at all these places! ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts