Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here’s a question for ya. If you only had one day to fish, (June 23) and you wanted some good action, with the chance at a few 18” or bigger bows and or browns, and it had to be on a river that is somewhat wild and scenic (not rubbing elbows with other fishermen). And it has to be on a river in the northern half of the state, where would you go.
Here is the deal, my brother-in-law, (whom I like a great deal) is coming out, and we have one day to fish (June 23rd). I’m new to Colorado, been here 1-1/2 years, so I don’t have the fishing figured out yet. I was thinking about the North Fork of the Platt, but after running up there this past weekend, I found out it is all ( well all that a person can get to without a boat) private, so that is pretty much out of the question. I haven’t been out to the White river yet, have heard some good things about it. How about the Poudre, or the upper Colorado? Any suggestions would be great.

·
P I K E
10,112 Posts
     Hey freerange...You might think about the Williams Fork river below the damn. The parking lot is right after the dude ranch on the way up to the lake and it's a short hike in. Good with flies or even small spinners. It's never over populated and worth the short hike and not a long drive to get there.
    Good luck & cya on the water...

·
Registered
368 Posts
I would fish the middle fork of the south platte. Get there at 8:00 before the guides.
You can fish a bunch at SWA . Tomahawk etc. The fishing is good and fun.
Fish bum

·
Registered
18 Posts
My home water for fly fishing is the Poudre river. The upper part of the river is my favorite because there is plenty of public access, most people don't drive that far up and there are areas that hold big fish. There are probably streams closer to you, but the Poudre is a great stream and it's easy to find a place to fish.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you don't mind the drive try the Yampa River that runs through downtown Steamboat or the tailwater out of Stagecoach reservoir.  The tailwater is a lot more technical, but it has some monster trout in it.  Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts