Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So I fished spinney about a month and some change ago, and my motor wasn't running all that well, It's a 9.9 horse older tohatsu. It runs fine down here though, and confirmed that this weekend. I've read about people getting their carbs jetted or motor ready for higher altitude, but I have no clue what that would require.

Where should I go? How much should I expect to pay? What exactly needs to be done?

Rob

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Somebody should know, it should mainly be a matter of tweaking the fuel/air ratio. People may be shying away from an answer due to the brand. Have you tried looking online for a motor or boating forum ? I know I hear tons of people say their boat was fine before the go to south park and report the exact same issues as you.

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have, but didn't see much. Figure a shop can do it, it should just be jetting the carbs or opening them up a little more? At least thats what I've read. There are a lot of nissan/tohatsu shops around town and got all winter to do it. :D :D

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Your motor just needs to be re-jetted. I would guess that a shop would charge you an hours labor plus parts (parts should be less than $25).

I don't think you will have any trouble finding someone to work on it. Thoatsu makes the small outboards for many different manufactuers - Merc included.

The other issue, though less common with kicker motors, could be your prop is pitched too high. If you get a smaller pitch, or more blades, the motor will run at a higher RPM.

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bionic Man said:
Your motor just needs to be re-jetted. I would guess that a shop would charge you an hours labor plus parts (parts should be less than $25).

I don't think you will have any trouble finding someone to work on it. Thoatsu makes the small outboards for many different manufactuers - Merc included.

The other issue, though less common with kicker motors, could be your prop is pitched too high. If you get a smaller pitch, or more blades, the motor will run at a higher RPM.
Good info, new prop wouldn't be a bad idea at all and a little cheaper.

Thanks,

Rob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts