Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm new to fly fishing and I'm learning a lot as I read. My older brother tells me not to buy anything and that he has everything that I'll need. A few day ago I get this package and it's full of "stuff" some of the stuff I've heard about but have never seen or used. He also sends 3 boxes of flies, some of which he tied himself.

My bro did tell me he didn't send the best quality "stuff" because he said I may not end up enjoying ff as much as he does. But if I do, he said I can replace the cheapo stuff as it wears out or breaks with quality gear later down the road.

I guess my question would be: It there a website I can go to that would help me identify the flies he gave me? Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Wow what a nice brother!

I don't have any idea how to ID a specific fly tying pattern but I think with a little research you could get an idea and figure out a few general groups of what you have in your loot.

Or you could take individual pictures of EACH fly and start a new thread for EACH one asking for help identifying!

I'm sure people would love that :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
I think your brother has mostly taken care of you. Frankly, though, a lot of the flies wouldn't be very useful. I wouldn't bother trying to identify all of them.

As someone suggested, you could go into a fly shop a few days before you want to go fishing and ask them to go through them with you to pick out the flies that would be useful when and where you plan to fish. They will have some additional recommendations which you can buy in their shop.

If you don't have a good shop handy, do it the other way. Get a list of recommended flies for when and where you want to fish (Internet fishing reports, etc.). Then look up the flies on the Internet and select some from your box that look like them. You may be able to actually identify some flies by name, but even if they're not the exact pattern, if they're similar in size, shape, and color, they should work.

·
Registered
24 Posts
There is a book called the Flytiers Benchside reference. It's an old book so probably doesn't have some of the newer patterns. It think it was written by Leeson and Schollmeyer (sp) It's an expensive book but is probably available at your local library. You could start there or any number of the other excellent flytying books.

Or you could bribe one of the flyfishermen on this site (beer and a fishing trip is probably all it would take) to help organize your new found treasures. As a newbie I think all you need to do is organize them into general categories, i.e. Dry, emerger, nymph and streamer. When you get on the water, notice what's flying around and turn over a few rocks it try and match something from your flybox to what's in the environment.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I can't agree about the Schollmeyer book - it's the absolute best for tying a particular part - like wings legs, bodies, but doesn't have a lot of pictures all together of flies. For that you need to go to the library and get a book on fly fishing that will have lots of pictures of entire flies.

·
Registered
740 Posts
That's great of your big brother to hook you up like that!! Good luck in your quest; I am in the same boat (though I was not hooked up like you). I do the look around where I am at and try to see what I have that looks like stuff around me...

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Frankly, though, a lot of the flies wouldn't be very useful.
I got to disagree there. Some of them may be a little dated and not colorado specific. But alot of times and alot of places it really comes down to presentation.

If that does not work, there are always stockers and sunfish. Which is a good place to start for your sanity. Most of those flies will be popped off when you snap it like a pro, some will be lost in trees. But for a comprehensive list of what you really need.. Watch this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IeSul1qc6k

·
Registered
740 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey guys, thanks for all the great answers. As a newbie, at first I didn't even know the difference between a dry fly, wet fly and a nymph. But now I'm beginning to get the knack for IDing a few of the flies.

There are a few, well....more than a few that I just can't put into a category. They look like a cross between a wet and dry. I'll try and post a pic later.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You just need to know which ones sink and which ones float. Don't listen to these other jokers. They know two things: Jack and ****... and Jack left town.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
You just need to know which ones sink and which ones float. Don't listen to these other jokers. They know two things: Jack and ****... and Jack left town.

Yeah..... What the troll said.... ::)

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Question: If you throw a troll in the water does it float because it is full of hot air, or sink because it's head is full of rocks?

Answer: Depends on how many holes you put in the troll before you throw it in. With no holes it will bob on the surface with just it's ass above the water. Kinda like an emerger with the wing buds tied too far back. :laugh::whip:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Question: If you throw a troll in the water does it float because it is full of hot air, or sink because it's head is full of rocks?

Answer: Depends on how many holes you put in the troll before you throw it in. With no holes it will bob on the surface with just it's ass above the water. Kinda like an emerger with the wing buds tied too far back. :laugh::whip:
Let me tell you something pendejo, you pull any of that crazy **** out on the river, start flashing that piece around, I'll take it away from you, stick it up your ass and pull the f***ing trigger until it goes click.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Let me tell you something pendejo, you pull any of that crazy **** out on the river, start flashing that piece around, I'll take it away from you, stick it up your ass and pull the f***ing trigger until it goes click.
Here have this

You're not yourself when you're flaring!

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Yeah but he's a pervert, dude. He's a sex offender with a record. He did 6 months in Chino for exposing himself to an eight year old. When he moved to Hollywood he had to go door to door and tell everyone he is a pederast.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts