Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just moved to Denver and I'm looking to take my girlfriend out on an inflatable raft while I fish and she tans. I'll probably buy one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Intex-Seahawk-2-Boat-Set/dp/B006IXB73C/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1428599538&sr=8-9&keywords=intex+raft

or

http://www.amazon.com/Solstice-30400-Voyager-4-Person-Boat/dp/B004PPNOWC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1428599617&sr=8-2&keywords=fishing+raft

I don't care what I catch (giant carp sound fun!), we're both small people, and she usually doesn't complain too much ha. I know that wind could be a problem and there's a possibility of getting wet.

Smith Lake at Wash park doesn't allow inflatable rafts so I was wondering if anyone knows any other lakes near Denver we could spend an afternoon? I'll even try to post a bikini pic...

ps I'm gonna throw some sweet corn out at Smith Lake this weekend after getting skunked at Grasmere twice last week...

·
Registered
633 Posts
Welcome to Denver. It's a pretty cool place to live but unfortunately it's pretty slim pickins when it comes to boating. Buy a State Parks pass and it will be much easier to get a boat wet. Most ponds don't allow boating, swimming, or even wading. Aurora can get windy, Cherry Creek can get heavy boat traffic, Chatfield too, but the south pond allows hand launch boats and no traffic (my recommendation). Good luck with your search and we are all looking forward to the pics. ;) PS watch the use of corn in CO. No chumming allowed but I believe you can use it on your hook for bait.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I don't recommend running the south platte thru Denver in either of those boats. Single chamber boats are not ideal in waters with a heavy junkie trash hatch. They will spring a leak on every syringe they hit...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Excellent advice everyone, thank you so much. We'll try the Chatfield gravel ponds and Aurora the first chance we get. I'm gonna research a State Parks pass when I get home, those are money well spent.

I'll probably try the South Platte by myself at the locations a Denver Post article suggested.

This forum is awesome hopefully I'll see some of you out there!

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Excellent advice everyone, thank you so much. We'll try the Chatfield gravel ponds and Aurora the first chance we get. I'm gonna research a State Parks pass when I get home, those are money well spent.

I'll probably try the South Platte by myself at the locations a Denver Post article suggested.

This forum is awesome hopefully I'll see some of you out there!

Glad you like the forum Chris, welcome aboard, enjoy and stick around!

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Aurora is a pleasant place to be... Nice water and cool scene in general IMO... float around the swim beach and through the sail boats. Fishing is tough there, but with some research you can figure things out.

Don't discount the mountain lakes in summer. Jefferson, 11 mile, Spinney and countless others are pretty close to you.

Also, I am not sure if Barker Res in Netherland allows rafts, but that is where my wife and I always went to fish and play as a new couple.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Glad you like the forum Chris, welcome aboard, enjoy and stick around!
Will do!

Aurora is a pleasant place to be... Nice water and cool scene in general IMO... float around the swim beach and through the sail boats. Fishing is tough there, but with some research you can figure things out.

Don't discount the mountain lakes in summer. Jefferson, 11 mile, Spinney and countless others are pretty close to you.

Also, I am not sure if Barker Res in Netherland allows rafts, but that is where my wife and I always went to fish and play as a new couple.
How could I forget the mountain lakes. Gonna be a good summer.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just a heads up on the South Platte - you can float it pretty much from C-470 on down. There is a lot of construction work going on between Evans Ave and Alameda - they are re-developing or "improving" the area. Big track hoes are in the river and they are re-constructing the banks. They also took down a portage area. My understanding is they are also building a bridge or two over the river to assist with traffic that's anticipated with the new ampitheater they're building at Ruby Hill Park. I have noticed a lot more people fly fishing the area and surprisingly, I've noticed a lot more people fishing the Overland Park Pond area.

I believe the area around Confluence Park has had intermittent closures for construction as well. You might want to check around (I'm not sure of a single place that has consistent information) before trying to float all the way down.

Here's a link to the "master plan" from the Greenway Foundation

http://www.thegreenwayfoundation.org/south-platte-master-plan-rvip.html

1 - 13 of 13 Posts