Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy and I take a fishing trip every year to some place we havent fished before. We've been to Powell,San Juan river,float trip on Roaring Fork,Crystal river/Frying pan. We're thinking guided bass fishing trip with in a one day drive from Colorado Springs in the April-June time frame. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
My advice would be head east...towards central Kansas. have you looked up any guided trips in that area?

·
Registered
593 Posts
Are you looking for quality or quantity?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My friend wants quality (size),I just want some bass fishing (wht,sm,lg,wiper,striper).

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
If you're interested in Nebraska fishing for bass and wipers, you might take a look at Steve Lytle's  guide service.

http://stevelytle.com/

I have not fished with him, but when I still fished bass tournaments I sent some pretty detailed questions to him about techniques and locations in a couple of the lakes he regularly fishes and the answers he sent back were spot on.  How many guides will give up that kind of information?

D

·
0 Posts
Easy. Cedar Bluff, KS for largemouth. I can't find the name of the guide right off hand. If I do I'll PM you.

·
Registered
593 Posts
CB is not what it use to be. If you want to go a days drive, Allen Henry in TX, Table Rock in MO, Grand Lake in OK are all good and under 12 hrs away. The Rock may be about 13, but its worth the drive. The best guide on the Rock is Mike Webb.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
1 day drive is a long way there is alot of great fishing in that distance. I would try Navajo or Echo Canyon if you wanted to stay in Colorado.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
No one mentioned Lake Powell. For Bass, Stripers, Walleye, Catfish and maybe some Crappie, Lake Powell is hard to beat - especially in that time frame. I really don't think you need a guide.

Thats where I'm going again in May.

D

·
0 Posts
TAL0362 said:
No one mentioned Lake Powell.  ... Thats where I'm going again in May.
I LOVE that place in May! And from the reports I've been reading, this looks like it will be may be the best fishing in the last 20+ years for LMB, SMB, walleyes and stripers. I'm even hearing reports about big crappie again! I may have to shoot for a few days there in May myself.

And, no, you definitely don't need a guide.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
fish or die said:
Black Canyon Gunnison river would be nice
the gunnison gorge would be much better. It is just below the black canyon and is much more accessable. You can float through and don't have to portage. You also don't have to wear full body suits because you don't have to go through poison ivy. The fish are HUGE, I got a 17 pound brown a few years back. Course, there are a TON of dinks. Use large panther martins or large curly tail grubs. #6-12 pms and 3-5" grubs on heavy jigheads.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Been to Powell,we are looking for somewhere we havent been yet. Gunnison sounds nice,although I'm kinda leaning towards Bass fishing. Have already fished Table Rock from the north. I've read some stuff on Red Lilly lake in Neb,sounds like a Wiper waleye heaven. Anybody heard of it?

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
I took a guided trip to Lake Fork. It was a great trip. I didn't have the best guide but if you want a chance at a real monster Bass then go to Fork. It is about 14-15 hour drive. If you guys want go to Fork and fish for 2 days there. One day go Bass fishing and the next day go Catfishing.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts