Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a new float tube and hoped to take my maiden voyage (and do some fishing) at Standley Lake in Westminster. I was disappointed to learn that they don't allow float tubes on the lake. Something about their AIS protocol. They said that the waders and fins are difficult to clean and easily transfer the invaders.

Can someone suggest a lake close to Westminster where I can try out my float tube and also provides some good fishing?

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
I purchased a new float tube and hoped to take my maiden voyage (and do some fishing) at Standley Lake in Westminster. I was disappointed to learn that they don't allow float tubes on the lake. Something about their AIS protocol. They said that the waders and fins are difficult to clean and easily transfer the invaders.

Can someone suggest a lake close to Westminster where I can try out my float tube and also provides some good fishing?
SPINNEY.Get there early. Its an amazing place to float tube. Take a fly rod and a spin rod/baitcaster if possible.

·
Registered
24,589 Posts
Put it on aurora...clean...no gas motors...lots of fish...

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
How would waders and fins be any different than a wetsuit that the water sports crew uses (and is never inspected)?

I second Aurora.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
How would waders and fins be any different than a wetsuit that the water sports crew uses (and is never inspected)?

I second Aurora.
good point. the answers that, the Standley Lake rangers are Nazis. To answer original question, try Arvada Res or Boyd Lake

·
Registered
9,161 Posts
Bear creek res. is pretty rad. If you got thick waders.... Jefferson is cool too if you don't have wind...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Has anyone tried Lagerman Reservoir, northeast of Boulder, in a float tube?
I tried it from shore. Not a bite! back around 2006 or 08, I was told by others in Mayberry- I mean Longmont, that there's no fish in there. I like the rocks, reminds me of Jetty fishing in the ocean, makes good rod holders.

Anybody catch anything at Lagerman besides a sunburn and a dusty car?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They are a "water quality" issue... Don't assume that makes sense.

Just spoke to Mark Reddinger, Lake Operations Coordinator at Standley Lake Park and he says that the restriction on float tubes at Standley Lake has nothing to do with invasive species (I had sent him an excerpt from a document produced by the Colorado Department of Parks and Wildlife that said that float tubes had been determined to be a low risk of AIS spread and didn't need to be inspected.). He apologized that I had been given bad information by the rangers. He said that the real reason was that belly boats were expressly prohibited by the IGA (inter-governmental agreement) between Westminster, Thornton, Northglenn, and FRICO that was written 20 years ago. I tried to understand the logic and he said that there is no real logic - which is consistent with Water Quality Board behavior. The IGA is coming up for approval again in 3 years and he was going to try to get support for float tubes added before he retires.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rick the dick doesn't allow belly boats at gross, no bodily contact with water. Even though they allow paddle boarding, I'm sure they never make bodily contact with the water...sarcasm
Is Gross Reservoir part of some cities water supply? If so it may be governed by the same logic-less agreements that govern Standley Lake. Mark mentioned assumed issues with belly boats and bodily contact. The Water Quality Boards didn't want to consider that most folks in belly boats wear chest waders so there is no bodily contact. He said that the WQBs would ban all recreation if they could but were willing to allow skiing (and tubing) which are just as bad or worse than anyone in a belly boat.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not worth it. You could try the middle pond at golden ponds if you're in Longmont. Check the regs but I think float tubes are the only thing allowed.
I had Dan Wolford from Longmont Parks department read the city regulations to me (Park Regulations section 13.20.020, item A4). They ban belly boats at numerous city lakes "unless otherwise posted". He's going to check to see if there's an exception posted at Golden Ponds but personally I'd be surprised. He said that there are several Longmont lakes where float tubes would be permitted: McCall Lake, Union Reservoir, Lake MacIntosh and Roger's Grove by Fairgrounds Lake.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I had Dan Wolford from Longmont Parks department read the city regulations to me (Park Regulations section 13.20.020, item A4). They ban belly boats at numerous city lakes "unless otherwise posted". He's going to check to see if there's an exception posted at Golden Ponds but personally I'd be surprised. He said that there are several Longmont lakes where float tubes would be permitted: McCall Lake, Union Reservoir, Lake MacIntosh and Roger's Grove by Fairgrounds Lake.
I like McCall, I wonder if it was changed or damaged at all by the Floods? I have caught many trout there and saw others take many more....

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Rogers Grove used to be a blast till they cut down all the trees and took out all the structure around the Islands

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
We are getting off track, but there are plenty of drinking water supply lakes that allow belly boats. To me, that is a straw man argument. Dillon & Spinney come to mind as allowing belly boats, but not bodily contact. Arvada & Standley are just a PITA.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Yeah the body contact issue always confused me. It's not like you turn on the tap and the water comes straight out of the reservoir. Besides...it's tougher to pee out of a belly boat with waders on than it is to pee off the side of a boat.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts