Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to upgrade the fishfinder on my 16 foot boat. Has anybody had a "ah ha" moment with one that really works well? I'm not really looking for "all the bells and whistles", just one that finds and identifies the fish. It would be great if it could pick up jigging fairly clearly.

I currently have a Humminbird 200DX which came with the boat, it is a dual sonar but I think is is pretty poor. I'm not needing GPS on the unit.

Also, does anybody know if there any reasonably priced side sonars that work?

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I have had Eagle units on my boat for 9 years now and they have always seemed to perform well. Before that I had several Hummingbird units and had nothing but trouble with them but that was 10 years ago.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Eagle makes one with a sidefinder the tells you depth and whether fish is on right or left of the transducer.  It seems to work pretty well. I think it's called the Trifinder. Sees 150 degrees, including down, right and left.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I have used Eagles for about 12 yrs and a great buy for the money. I spend about 100 for the front of the boat and 150 for a little better model on the center consel. I do not do anything fancy with these units. I use the center for looking for structure or cover and the front one to keep me at a certian depth. Pretty simple. I wish I had 2000 dollars for the new side scan sonar from hummingbird. Looks like a black and white photo. Very cool.

·
Registered
688 Posts
how would that tri finder work on the ice?

·
Registered
935 Posts
I've been curious about that, myself. I think you can turn off the two side-looking beams, and focus on the downward beam, so it might be as good as the other Eagles on ice.

·
Registered
344 Posts
If I remember right Hummingbird fish finders are one of the few made in the USA. That helped me make my mind up this summer, try to keep a few bucks in this country. Take Care

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
It is a shot I think to the left of the boat. That is why it looks on it side. I have looked at multiple shots from this product and it is very very cool! Just not 2000 dollar cool. The shots show detail that is incrediable. If I was only rich!

·
Registered
935 Posts
Ok, I get it, so it would ordinarily give a picture like that of the water column directly beneath you? With a vertical display on the side to show you the depths the fish are at? Seems like it would take some time to learn how to read, but once you had it figured out, you could really do some good.

·
Registered
688 Posts
good example of ya get what ya pay for ;)

·
Registered
935 Posts
Still think it's an example of not getting enough for what you pay at $2000. For a nearly 2000% increase in price, do you catch nearly 2000% more fish?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Cutthroat said:
Still think it's an example of not getting enough for what you pay at $2000.  For a nearly 2000% increase in price, do you catch nearly 2000% more fish?
Damn good point Cutt.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
For the price, I agree, the Eagle units are great. I have a fishmark 320 for ice fishing and had a 480 on my old boat. Both are/were great. In the last few years I also had at Bottomline 480 max, which I didn't like, Garmin 240 which was ok. The people I talk to say side scan does not work well, or is not worth the money.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks to everyone for the information. Looking at the Eagles seems to be my best choice. I'd appreciate any more input if anyone else cares to get their two cents in.
Thanks again!

I'd like to play with the Humminbird H987 but it's beyond my price range.

·
Registered
688 Posts
for what its worth i've narrowed my search down to a lorance x 67, humin bird 565, bottomline 480 max, or steppin up to a vex if i can find the extra cash.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I agree that the 987 is not worth 2000 just put it there because it was pretty cool. I stick with the low priced Eagles.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Most I know who have them, like their Lowrance or Eagle units - reliable and versatile.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I have the fishmark 320 on my boat as well. Great price (about $150.00 now) for a great sonar.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts