Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

Which Vexilar should I get?

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Gone Fishin 
#1 ·
I need a vex but which model should I get? I mostly fish for bows and macks but would like to chase the kokes as well and hoping this baby will help in my quest. Is the Fl 8 a good model? or should I get a fl 20? I want the best bang for my buck! Are they going to discontinue the Fl8 with all of theses new models coming out? I see bps has them on sale right now for anyone else lookin.

#2 ·
For bows and macks make sure you get one with the bottom 5 foot zoom. I don't think the fl-8 has this feature. The fl-18 does. The fl-20 does everything and then some. The zoom on the bottom 5' is so important because it really shows clearly where your jig and the fish is compared to the bottom.. Some of the nicer units zoom in on any five foot section in the water column.....which would be nice for the kokanee and suspended fish....but even for the suspended fish the zoom is not as important because you are not having to deal with the bottom. Weeds on the bottom really make it difficult without the zoom feature. Hope this helps/makes sense. In other words I think you will have trouble bottom fishing with a fl-8(but way better than nothing), an fl-18 is perfect, and an fl-20 is a little overkill for most.

#4 ·
DanDANthefisherman said:
J.M.O.  Get the Marcum LX5 . More power, better zoom features and better interference rejection than any of the Vex. units. Also cheaper than the FL20. Again  J.M.O.
Are you sure? Everyone I know with a Marcum cannot use theirs in close range to other marcums or vexilars as they get to much interference.

#5 ·
Abomb covered it all. The 18 has done well for the last 3 seasons. Before that I had an old fl8 and it helped a bunch, but the 18 is way better in deep water for the macks because of the zoom and definately worth the extra money!!! Get it in a new pro pack with the little tackle box, more lures than you need all day! You will NEVER say "Oh I wish I would have bought the FL8 instead" but you WILL say"wish I'd bought the 18" JMO. Looney

#6 ·
The ability to move your zoom up and down the water column would help on kokes, rainbows too. Actually any time the fish are suspended. I use and appreciate that function on the Marcum.

As far as interference, the people using Vex's around the Marcum are affected more than the guy with the Marcum ;).  It's got a lot of power and decent interference rejection.

Any of the models mentioned so far would raise your awareness of fish behavior and get you catching more fish. They all have their pros and cons.

The best advice I can give is to be sure you get one that you'll be happy with. Don't save a small amount of cash to get a unit that you'll want to replace after you see features on another unit. You'll just end up wanting to trade up, and that costs more in the long run.

#7 ·
ePiC said:
DanDANthefisherman said:
J.M.O. Get the Marcum LX5 . More power, better zoom features and better interference rejection than any of the Vex. units. Also cheaper than the FL20. Again J.M.O.
Are you sure? Everyone I know with a Marcum cannot use theirs in close range to other marcums or vexilars as they get to much interference.
Epic, you have it backwards, I have a LX5 and never have had a problem eliminating interference from Vexs or other Marcums. It has 12 channels of interference rejection! I have fished around people who have owned Fl 18 and 8s who had problems eliminating interference from my Marcum. Its one reason Vex has come out with the Fl 20 which now has its own interference rejection system. If I had to choose again I would probably go with a new VX 1. Not all the bells and whistles but a terrific price. http://www.reedssports.com/Product.taf?_function=detail&_ID=10257

#11 ·
3109elvis said:
Vex. Fl18. IT ROCKS, BIG TIME, I would take it into the bed with me,but the wife said"NO". ::) ::) ::)
   Lmao...I can hear it now " Elvis has left the bedroom!!! "
Had the same problem when I wanted to put my pike wall mount over the bed!  >:D

#12 ·
I just got the Marcum LX5 this year and have used it twice. I've never owned a flasher and wanted to get one that would last me for years and provide all the bells and whistles that I might want. I labored over my decsion for about a month. My decsion was based on information I found through various ice fishing forums. The most opionated fellas were from Minnesota and many had switched from Vex to Marcum. I have not been in tight near other flashers, so I can't comment on the IR feature.

I decided on the Marcum LX5 because it has 2000 watts of power, 12 level IR rejection, Dual Transducer and the ability to zoom at all levels of the water column, it's compact and came with a protective case and digital battery level display.

In any event, I'm pleased with my purchase as I am catching more than twice the fish on the flasher hole compared to the non-flasher hole. I don't think you can go wrong with any flasher you choose.

Lotsa luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.