Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
30 years of tieing flys and I finally forced myself to sit down and hand whip finish.
Took about 30 minutes of watching Youtube and practice, and I can do it!
I was stoked. No more whip finish tool..The time I will save now! Wow!

Wait, I have to put my scissors down to whip finish! Thats gonna eat the time I saved learning to not pick up and use the whip finisher. Gotta be something wrong.
Checked youtube. All the videos are whipping without scissors in their hands.

If I try hard, bet I can whip with scissors in my hand. Do I wanna learn? Nah, maybe in another 30 years.
Whats cool? I can look cool hand whipping when I have NuB's around. LOL

·
Registered
541 Posts
I was the opposite. I took a fly tying class during college for a leisure studies class and our instructor taught us to whip finish with our fingers. He showed us how to do it with the whip finisher tool, but I wasn't really paying attention and we were tying big flies where using your fingers was just more efficient. I came out here to CO and began tying flies, which were mostly in the #18-24 range, and I found I really struggle controlling the thread with my fingers to the degree in which I'd like. On a fly like Charlie's Jujubee in 24, I just couldn't keep that thread head stacked up securely with a whip finish with my fingers! I then taught myself to use the whip finisher tool again, and haven't put it down since.

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
The whip is more precise. I can do both, but prefer to use the tool. I use fingers for the quickie when using the rotary function.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yeah, you can whip finish by hand with the scissors on. Never tried with the thumb in the loop though. Just always keep one loop of the scissors on your ring finger of your right hand ff you're right handed. Been doing that way about 30+ years now. They guy that helped teach me was how do you say "anal" about never, never putting down your scissors whether your selecting hackle, dubbing, spinning deer harir or whatever you keep em in your hand. Saves alot of time finding them in the clutter on a table. This guy was a master of clutter and I was well taught. Anyhow 3-5 seconds to find the scissors and get them on for each operation per fly, times many hundreds of dozens of flies= alot of time. Never used a whip finish tool except as a demo in a class a few times. The eyes are staring to get old though so I may have to try one again. Ha, Ha.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts