Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
That looks to be a white bass... I could be wrong, but looks like it. Although, with the way you spelled wiper (I think that is what you were getting at) who knows :wink:

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
That's one hell of a giant white bass..... Nice job!

(Having never caught a wiper, I cannot testify to the identification of the species, only that your pic looks like a really big white bass)

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
White bass as everyone said. Wipes have a more elongated shape and darker, more broken stripes. Only sure why to know is the tooth patches on the tongue. One patch for white bass; two for wipers. And even that can be tricky. Wipers can breed with white bass and become so mixed that it can be hard to tell them apart. Wiper on wiper breeding cannot happen.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
White bass as everyone said. Wipes have a more elongated shape and darker, more broken stripes. Only sure why to know is the tooth patches on the tongue. One patch for white bass; two for wipers. And even that can be tricky. Wipers can breed with white bass and become so mixed that it can be hard to tell them apart. Wiper on wiper breeding cannot happen.
They call that an F2 when wipers and white bass back cross. It is happening at Horsetooth. You end up with really big white bass;D

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
What ao said is right on the money. I learned it today in ichthyology as part of our notes on Perciformes. two patches on the tounge= wiper. One = white bass.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone. Was miss informed was a whiper. Good to know its a white bass, was pulling them in Tuesday at John Martin on a blue and white rapala.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Very nice whitey... congrats!
For comparison purposes only, if you tied that white's tail to a wiper's tail of the same size... the wiper would drag him backward around the lake until he was dead... then turn around and eat him for breakfast...
Wipers are some bad-arse mofo's... lol

·
Registered
543 Posts
Nice white. Was down there last week. Did pretty well. Fifty some, mostly wb and a few wipers mixed in. Got one nice 24" saugeye.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts