Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
You can catch some nice wipers in Douglas Reservoir (just a bit North of Fort Collins), North Sterling (near Sterling, out on the plains a bit), and Lonetree Reservoir. Wipers are also stocked into Horsetooth, Smith Lake (near Wellington), Wellington #4 Reservoir.

I have heard people talking about wipers in Boyd Lake, but I am not sure if they are really catching wipers there, because they are the size of white bass, which have been in Boyd Lake for many years and look very similar to wipers to most people.

There are other wipers lakes in the Northern Front Range, but these are the ones I have tried.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I too like the lipless cranks, especially those that have a big profile and rattles (like ratt-l traps and rattlin rapalas).

I use decievers and clouser minnows to catch them on fly rods, which I have had even greater success with than spinning gear in some lakes.

If you prefer bait, Shrimp and/or crawlers on the bottom with a slip-sinker rig often works well, as does the same rig with a live baitfish on it. In the evening and early morning, you can suspect live baitish from big bobbers over deeper water, and near drop-offs, too. It's fun to watch really big bobbers suddely start to take off sideways, and then disappear fast under the surface.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts