Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went back, this time with Silent_Light. Apparently those kids didn't get the message the first go 'round.

We had the canyon to ourselves all day. Turned that ho into a blood bath.

One of Silent_Light's:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Looks like a good day. You must have a very nice camera and you definitely know how to use it. I like the scenery pics. that you take, they look like they are paintings, way cool. What kind of camera is that, if you don't mind me asking?

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
the second to last pic lookes like one of my fav hole up on the north fork of the south platte up in pine, but the very last pic says diff. so ya got me... :-\

awesome photo shoot man. well done on the fish too.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cbrown said:
Looks like a good day. You must have a very nice camera and you definitely know how to use it. I like the scenery pics. that you take, they look like they are paintings, way cool. What kind of camera is that, if you don't mind me asking?
Thanks, glad you like the shots. I'm using the Canon Powershot D10. I also tweak most of my photos with editing software, so keep that in mind. The underwater shots in particular benefit quite a bit from an auto levels filter.

S

·
0 Posts
Thers nothing like having a few miles of canyon all to yourselves for a day !! What an awesome time. Water flow was fantastic, fish were everywhere ( Sorry Funk, no risers) and ill have to say those fish are BY FAR the most colorful on the entire front range, bar none.

Tangler already had his "one fly" plan going while i adopted my usual attack methods.... i really should have listened to Tangler though. All those fish wanted to do was play with tennis balls :'( :'(

One upshot of my plan - finished another quest - catching a fish on a hopper each month of the year ! Got one to charge and inhale a nice big foam hopper right as it hit the water ! January thru December , at least one fish on a hopper, way fun !

So about mid-day, i swallowed my pride, and bashfully asked Tangler if he had any of his super flies left... with a "told ya so" grin on his face he handed it over, and i caught more and more fish ( dammit). Did tie on a small black midge behind it though, made me feel more secure :) The Super Fly did catch more but the midge got its share as well.
Very odd that with the flows, all those bugs.... they wouldn't be so tuned in to something not so prolific at all ! Strange as it was, Tanglers fly was $$$$$$$$$$ !!!

Great pics as usual Cam - and great company too ! Have to get up there more often now that i know the secret entrance :)

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jim, it's a strange phenomena how those fish turn down otherwise productive bug patterns in favor of something so seemingly out of place as a neon egg, isn't it?

Don't want to give away all my secrets (Jim already knows this but I'll share with CFers), but the technique of sub surface sight fishing with no indicator is just as big a part of the success as the hot pattern itself. Those fish are pretty good at mouthing a fly and spitting it out without ever pulling on the line, so it helps to be watching the fly underwater and setting the hook when you see a fish grab it as opposed to waiting for a bobber dunk under. Having a high vis fly helps the angler track it as it drifts through water. In addition, there are some crazy layers of currents going in different directions in this creek. A bobber, going in the direction of the current on the surface, could very easily be betraying the direction of the current down at the fish's level giving it an unnatural and suspicious drift that the fish find easy to ignore...

I'd love to know what was in those full bellys but I don't own a stomach pump, and I wouldn't use one if I did cause those fish have a long winter ahead and need every morsel of food to combat the impending doom low flows.

This may be my last report for a while. Time to strap on the snowboard 8)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts