Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went 300 miles for these guys. The bite was on. Could'nt keep up with the poles so forced to just one. Trolled for most all of them. Caught around 40-ish within a couple of hours. Kansas white bass, unlimited creel. Wow!

Also some crappies I wanted to share with you all. Caught these a while ago. Largest crappies I've ever seen.

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went to Cedar Bluff Res near Wakeeny KS. First time there and did great.

Crappies were caught on minnows that were jigged.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Nice Fish Pics! Definatly worth the travel. where in Kansas is that res? Has anyone ever fished Lake Quivera in Kansas its about two hours east of Hays?

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
I am too jealous to say anything.. Humf!!

J/K

The last time I did anything like that was Devil's Lake ND. Those are beauties you caught there. Nothing quite like a black slab. Them crappies are the best.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Oats I used to live about five miles from lake Quivera. It was a private community back then? My best friend lived there and we used to just slam the crappie. Of course every lake in Eastern Kansas is full of white bass and crappie, so it was nothing special!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Ya its a real waterfowl hot spot in the fall. Never done any fishing at it but a group of us hunt pheasants around there near the town of Larned. The land owner owns property around the lake which is prime hunting grounds. Cool area a lot of history with all the old forts and wagon trails.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I moved to Fort Collins from Hays last summer. I am extremely jealous, because I don't think I will get back. I love fishing the damn in the evenings at Cedar this time of year. The white bass are hogs, the occasional wiper are a blast, and you always have the chance to tie into walleye, large mouth, and crappie. A family friend from Dodge City, KS caught a 14 lb wiper at Cedar a couple weeks ago. Top water fishing for schooling white bass and wiper is off the hook later in the summer, you can catch 25 fish in a span of 5 minutes when you are on a school.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I was ther last wknd, the crappies and white bass were nailing bass baits! Be careful not to mix up white bass and wipers. I spoke with a warden and they write tickets for that often. FYI. Not pikin a fight just trying to help.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How many crappie did you catch. I didn't catch any that day. And yes you must be able to tell difference between the two wiper/wihte bass. Wipers have 2 white spots in back of their tounge as for whites only have one. I'll be going back this weekend.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I think around 6. I wasnt even fishing for them. They should be up near the bank this wknd. Try using 1/8 road runners pink head and white body. I saw some guys killing them last wknd on that.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Around what area were the crappies being caught? I heard they're huge there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts