Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This forum has been helpful and I haven't done much fishing in Colorado.  I am definitely a rookie in many Colorado Lakes and Rivers.  Thanks for all the help and replies.

I was thinking about heading up to Boyd lake this weekend- Taking my float tube.  Any advice on using my float tube up there? What part of the lake would be best? Trying to avoid Xtreme Boaters/Water Skiers/JetSkiers. 

What are the best baits or lures for white bass?

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
tbmanivong said:
What are the best baits or lures for white bass?

While ive never caught a WB, from what Ive read on this page and other sites you would want to use the same thing you do for Wiper, Only smaller. Small spoons and curly tails. I may be wrong. Maybe some who has got one and give you some more info

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Like Jay said keep it fairly small. I like a White 2" Power grub on a 1/8 oz Road Runner head. Small rattle traps work well also.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I will go out and get some of the power grubs.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Also, white and grey Rooster Tails work well also! In the Ozarks where I use to fish alot, white and yellow marabou jigs were the staple back then. Both crappie and white bass were suckers for them!

I have never been anywhere where Road Runners didn't slay White bass and crappie!

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Neal/CO said:
Also, white and grey Rooster Tails work well also! In the Ozarks where I use to fish alot, white and yellow marabou jigs were the staple back then. Both crappie and white bass were suckers for them!

I have never been anywhere where Road Runners didn't slay White bass and crappie!
Road Runners are the jigs with spinners, right? I think I have that one already. I have to check. I spend a lot of money on fishing stuff and end up not using it years later. Lol.

Thanks Neal.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Yeah, they have the spinner on the head. They have been very effective for me this year at Aurora Res. on the smallies also! Sometimes i replace the plastic for a live or fresh minnow if i want to fish slower!

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
All of the suggestions mentioned above are good. Look out for boils. Boyd's WB boils can be good at times. If you see or notice any boils within casting range, use a small Kastmaster or even a popper or some kind of small topwater. If they boil near weeds where you might get stuck, I would suggest a Berkley Gulp minnow on a weedless EWG hook. Those don't cast too far though, but the good thing about them is you can make it weedless and it's pretty much weightless so you can work it in just right beneath the surface making it almost topwater.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have to second 1eyeRed on the Kastmaster. This Colorado boy stuck in Nebraska fishes for whites from the first of July till dove hunting starts Sept. 1. My favorite lure of choice and frankly the only lure I take with me when I fish specifically for whites and wipers is silver kastmasters. Cabela's sells them as silver spoon kits where you can buy 5 lures for 7.50 to 10$ per 5 making them far cheaper for lures then Kastmaster brand. I throw primarily the 1 ounce model with some 1/2 ounce as backup. The 1 ounces throws a heck of a long way. I still catch 4 and 5 inch fish on occasion when the little ones torture me. This convinces me I am not too large. I retrieve it one of two ways. When the schools are red hot, I cast strait into or just past the pod of fish and reel like a mad man with my rod horizontal to the water. I use powerpro braided line so I get the casting distance of a small diamater line while gaining the strength necessary for some of the 5-10 pound fish we get our hands on. The braided line also has no stretch so as soon as the fish hits my line, the hook smacks into the corner of his mouth and fish on. The other method is in search of fish that are not currently on the surface crashing bait. This entails casting as far as possible in a fan pattern. Depending on depth of water where you are casting and the depth the fish are at, you count down the lure and then begin a slow retrieve. I normally count to 5 where I fish along a dam here in south central Nebraska. Then I hold my rod tip high to the water and retrieve slowly. This immitates a injured shad that wobbles and is trying to escape. Between feeding frenzys, the whites search around for left over stunned or crippled bait and I pick up my occasional fish with this tactic. Once the school hits the surface again you are right back in the action without having to change lures. My 2 cents.
Craig

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Hey Oats, have you ever fished the smallest size "1/8" oz Trap down there? I have had some great days numbers wise down there after the little shad show up on them.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I'll set a few of the 1/8 oz traps a side for the groups of smaller boiling wiper from 12 to 15 inches. They work great and those little guys still put up a great battle. Best part about running into that size the sheer numbers there can be hundreds in the same area and 50 plus fish boiling at once.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts