Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Caught one by accident at Brush Hollow while I was fishing for crappie with a beaded hares ear. Surprised me thought they were only in rivers.

·
Registered
344 Posts
The Roaring Fork is full of them! The closer to Glenwood the better. I think they still have a tournament every year to thin them out.  I catch them all the time when I'm fly fishing for trout. You've got your hands full when you hook a 20 inch plus whitey in a stiff current......it's a blast!  ;D

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I have heard that they are really tasty smoked and accompanied by beer. So, Roaring Fork River by Glenwood is best and in swift water. I don't fly fish much so this might be just the thing I need to get me out and swinging the long pole!

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
They are also starting to expand into the lower reachs of the Eagle River. I have been catching them in deeper runs there while nymphing

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
the yampa river also has them, as does the gunnison. Whitefish only taste good when not caught during spawning season IMO.

·
Registered
267 Posts
walleye970 said:
Poudre up by the rearing unit. 
have you seen this firsthand? i have heard that they are in there too, but never caught any or even talked to anyone who could confirm they are there. i read that they are in kip carey guide, and one other source, i forget what.

they are in the crystal river too.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
yea, the Roaring Fork and Colorado are full of them. Fish for them in the same areas you would fish for trout. They usually hold tight to bottom so your best bet at hooking one will be to fish bead head nymphs. They have relatively small mouths so smaller sizes work best (size 14, 16, 18 are good bets). They fight like crazy and are fun to catch. Smoked white fish is considered a delicacy in many places. I'm not too fond of the taste.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Not sure Jay, since I have never seen a really big shad, but this guy was about 11" and had those real distinctive scales that whitefish have in all my species literature.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts